The Power of One Word?

 


We are now at the beginning of a new year, and traditionally the time when we form resolutions for change. We look ahead at all those blank pages and are full of good intentions for a fresh start. A time to be ‘more’ than we were before, more organised, efficient, disciplined, productive or whatever else we feel is ‘lacking.’

After a time of indulgence, a time to set new disciplines.  Often the most obvious one being a time to clear out the chocolates and dig out the gym gear - or at least the walking boots… But we all know that new year’s resolutions are usually short lived, full of good intentions which do not develop into good practices or make a lasting change.

But what about the power of one word?

I have been reflecting on choosing ‘one word for the year.’ I had not come across this concept before, but it seems to be popular in the American blogging community. It may be that it is widespread in the UK too and I have just been oblivious in my little corner of Wales. But the idea is that you intentionally choose one word, that you feel God is speaking to you, for the year ahead. Then you are accountable to that word throughout the year, reflecting, writing, or journaling where it has been significant or has influenced your life.

I was a little sceptical of the benefits of choosing one word, but once you start reflecting on the significance of this concept, it is strange how often it comes to attention.

I am currently reading ‘Run with the Horses, the Quest for Life at its Best’ by Eugene Peterson. In one chapter he highlights one word out of Jeremiah’s ministry. He identifies a word which is significant at the centre of Jeremiah’s life but when you look for it, it is there spread throughout his ministry. One word which his life and ministry were founded on…And if you are wondering what the one word was for Jeremiah, it was ‘hashkem, persistently.’ A word which was spoken but far more than that a word which his life demonstrated.

Recently a Swedish friend of mine sent me a photo of a book, that she had just found among the items that she had cleared out of her grandparent’s house years ago. A book, in Swedish, about a remarkable Welsh lady, who I had never heard of - Jessie Penn Lewis (1861-1927). I was intrigued to find out some more about her, and the internet provided the information that she was involved in the Welsh revival and a prolific author.

Next stop was Amazon, and I downloaded an Anthology of her work, the ‘Collected works of Jessie Penn Lewis.’ A bargain of Christmas reading, seven of her best books for £1.99. There is a short autobiographical introduction to the anthology, and there she speaks of the one word that God whispered to her, the word which influenced her writing and her ministry. The secret that she learnt through that one word, and although her experiences changed, the principle of that one word was proved throughout her life. For Jessie Penn Lewis the word was ‘crucified.’

Writers, more than anyone, are aware of the effect of choosing the exact right word and the power that it has to bring meaning and illumination to a sentence or a passage. But the concept of one word being demonstrated and a proven force throughout life is an interesting one - maybe there is a storyline there?

I have broken my new year resolutions already. My downfall is all the left-over chocolates, the least favourite ones but which still demand to be eaten, and then the weather has put a damper on my new walking ambitions.


I will try a word for 2021, not as challenging as the examples I have given here, but in its own way a challenge, nonetheless. Time will tell whether it has an influence on my thought patterns or behaviour in the year ahead….

I blog at https://limitless-horizon.com . Any inspiration comes from the beauty of the coastline where I live in Wales, looking out in faith at the wide-open space of God’s grace. Competing for my time are my family, a part-time civil service job, and local church activities. Plus one horse and two dogs, unreasonably demanding attention regardless of the weather….

Comments

  1. Thanks for that Sharon. Helpful and challenging. I had already decided less is more when I thought about my aspirations at the start of my first ever bullet journal. Paring it down to one word .... hmmmm ....... 'persistence' is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a different approach and whereas resolutions, challenge us to change a specific aspect of our behaviour, this appears to me to be more reflective to develop an aspect of our character - and persistence could be a very good word for 2021!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Sharon. I was talking about this very concept with my three prayer-square friends this week. You've nudged me to think & pray more about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear that I am not the only one being nudged...And I do think it is good to be open to new concepts.

      Delete
  3. GET RICH WITH BLANK ATM CARD ... Whatsapp: +18033921735

    I want to testify about Dark Web blank atm cards which can withdraw money from any atm machines around the world. I was very poor before and have no job. I saw so many testimony about how Dark Web hackers send them the atm blank card and use it to collect money in any atm machine and become rich. ( darkwebblankatmcard@gmail.com ) I email them also and they sent me the blank atm card. I have use it to get 90,000 dollars. withdraw the maximum of 5,000 USD daily. Dark Web is giving out the card just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any atm machine vault with the use of atm programmed card which runs in automatic mode.

    Email: darkwebblankatmcard@gmail.com
    Text & Call or WhatsApp: +18033921735

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this idea, Sharon. I'll be pondering it for the next few days until I find a word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've committed now to a word and will see how it influences the year....

      Delete
  5. Seems intriguing! But to choose just one? :D One word did spring to mind (Healing), but several more followed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment