Key to Keys by Emily Owen

 


On Tuesday evening, I received an email which began, ‘Thank you for your truly inspirational books.’

At the time it was sent, I was at (or in? I’m not sure of online terminology!) a Bible study, where we were looking at Exodus 17.

As I was discussing the chapter about Moses’ hands being lifted, in encouragement and support, I later realised I had also received encouragement and support.

‘Thank you for your truly inspirational books.’

As writers, we often lock ourselves away and write, then we hope people read what we produce, but we don’t always know how our writing is received. Feedback is a wonderful thing.

As I read the email further, I was overwhelmed.

The next line read, ‘they (the books) have kept me going through lockdown.’

The email went on to say that the sender works in the care sector.

Frontline.

At the start of lockdown, there was a clear message, ‘if you stay at home, you’re helping.’

I duly cancelled events, or had them cancelled, shut myself away, and wrote/edited.

As time went on, and the strains on key workers became more and more apparent; whilst believing the ‘stay at home to help’ message, I more and more wished there was something I could actually do to help.

There wasn’t.

But it seems there was.

The books have kept me going through lockdown.

I guess not all of us in ACW have key worker status. Perhaps others, like me, would like to be able to do more.

And yet: the books have kept me going through lockdown.

Without Aaron and Hur holding Moses’ hands up, the battle would have been lost. They gave Moses strength to do what he couldn’t do alone.

The books have kept me going through lockdown.

By the grace of God, our writing can act as Aaron/Hur.

Giving strength from God.

Showing His way.

Helping people.

Giving them space.

The books have kept me going through lockdown.

Books being important - even ‘key’ - to key workers.

Key to Keys.

On Wednesday, I took delivery of copies of a children's book which will be released in February.

It’s a book I worked on at the start of lockdown.

More info here (It is an Amazon link but it is also an info link).

A book which details, among other things, the disability which prevents me from volunteering during lockdown, let alone having 'key worker' status.

And yet: the books have kept me going through lockdown.

I pray this book, and all of our writing, will become Aaron and Hur to all Moses-es – of official key worker status or not – who read it.

Key to Keys.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory…..for ever and ever! Amen.

(Ephesians 3:20,21)

Comments

  1. This made me very happy, Emily. Feedback is the lifeblood of writers and I'm not at all surprised that your beautiful words held up a key worker. Thank you for sharing this and I'm excited to hear about your new book. Keep me posted, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. I value your encouragement (I think encouragement might be your middle name). There will be more info on my Facebook .

      Delete
  2. Such an important thing to remember, that our words can achieve all kinds of things we wouldn't have thought possible. Thank you, Emily 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is delightfully encouraging. Made me think of the body with many parts, equally valuable. We can not function without each other. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment