Dealing with distractions by Claire Musters

  



When we have a piece of writing that we want to get done, it can be amazing how often we get interrupted, or distracted, just as we try to start. Sometimes it is simply a co-incidence – at other times I do wonder whether the enemy sends distractions to try and stop us from writing something that will have an impact on the world around us.

 

We can also get distracted just as we start because we have a fear of actually getting our ideas down. There is a hurdle to cross in ourselves, which often includes self-doubt.

 

I know some will be utilising the extra space and time lockdown has provided, so distractions will be caused more by this inner dialogue – but perhaps that has gone into overdrive during lockdown.

 

Today I want to focus on a newer form of distraction, which has occurred during the pandemic. For those of us with kids of secondary school age, or upper primary, it is the constant interruptions by our kids that can be a real challenge. They are old enough to be doing their lessons themselves, which means we can focus on our own work, which is a huge blessing. My kids are following their school timetables, but are at different schools, which means their break times and lunch times are different. If I’m honest, there have been moments when I have found it really annoying to be interrupted just when I’m getting into the flow of writing. 

 

I have been challenged to remind myself that it is such a privilege that my children want me involved, they want my support and naturally lean on me during this time. I can learn lessons from the interruptions – about leaning on my heavenly Father for my own stresses and difficulties. They have both found moving online has brought its own particular difficulties and so they have come to their safe place. I need to remember that too, when I am distracted or stressed – God is my safe place. However the distractions come for you, remember he is your safe place too.

 

There are times when the distractions or interruptions can feed our writing. God may bring a situation into our day that ends up providing the perfect anecdote for something we are trying to express in our writing. 

 

Or it may be a life experience that directly affects how we write. This happened to me this time last year, as I was writing a devotional on disappointment and loss and ended up writing it next to my mother’s bedside as she slowly went to be with Jesus. It was a stark reminder to me that what I do with my writing affects every area of life, and I have been blessed to be able to write something that I hope will be a helpful companion to others facing a similar situation.

 

Whatever form your distractions and interruptions take, know that you are not the only one who wrestles with them. We each experience them, but need God’s guidance as to when to ignore them and when he may be prompting us to utilise or be changed by them.


Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum to two gorgeous children and church leader. Her books include Taking off the mask: daring to be the person God created you to be, Cover to Cover: Ezekiel A prophet for all times, Cover to Cover: 1–3 John Walking in the truth, Cover to Cover: David: A man after God's own heart, Insight Into Managing Conflict, Insight Into Self-acceptance and Insight Into Burnout. Her latest addition to the Insight Guides series, An Insight into Shame, was published in May 2019 and her latest Cover to CoverExodus God’s epic rescue was published in April 2020. She has also written a devotional on disappointment and loss (available as an eBook or physical book) and Grace-filled Marriage (written with her husband) will be published May 2021. She also writes Bible study notes and magazine articles. To find out more about her, please visit www.clairemusters.com  and @CMusters on Twitter. Claire is leading an online retreat entitled 'Walking with Jesus through disappointment and loss' on 23 January - to find out more about it click here.

Comments

  1. You have described this perfectly, Claire. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I wrestle with some pieces that I keep putting off (why I don't know) this is most encouraging and helpful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are no children in this house but hubby wfh at my desk is certainly a challenge. But you’re right, we need to listen for God’s prompting. I’ve certainly enjoyed having himself around more often :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, learning to discern which voice is distracting me is often a challenge in itself. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment