Fran is relieved to find out Annmarie doesn't own a Louis XIV writing desk

I'm intensely curious about other writers' routines and habits. For example, I'm greedy for those features in the arts pages of newspapers: 'This is my Louis XIV writing desk worth half a million pounds' or 'The view over bohemian Paris from my oak-panelled writing study.' 

I know what you're thinking. Dream on, Fran. 

Perhaps it is a kind of vicarious fascination, living another writer's life through the pages of the newspaper while sitting at my plain wooden desk, which still bears a sticky label white spirit hasn't shifted, and watching a recycling lorry appear in my street.  

I sent some questions to Annmarie Miles, another member of the Association of Christian Writers and now looking after Publicity and Social Media for the organisation. Annmarie is Irish and currently lives in Wales. 

I was nervous in case she turned out to have a Louis XIV writing desk in an oak-panelled study because the continual repenting from envy is frankly exhausting.

Phew. She didn't.  

Here are my questions and her answers. 

Fran: Where do you write? Send a photograph immediately, unless it's your toilet, in which case, lie. 

Annmarie: My desk is where I should write, but it's where I actually procrastinate. I was given a wonderful bureau, and I love it, but the view out the window is too lovely and I find myself dreaming. Quite often I actually write, curled in a strange position in an armchair in the sitting room. Himself and I listen to music in the evenings during the week and he reads while I either read or write. I have never written in a toilet (unless you count graffiti on a school toilet door in 1986). 




Fran: What time of day is best for your writing? If it's midnight, is that because you are really a werewolf?   

Annmarie: I used to stay up very late, but in the last year or two, I've started to yawn by about 4.30pm and am usually ready for bed by 8.30 but stretch it out 10.30. (Don't tell my fans, they still think I'm rock n' roll.) I have no set time. I finished work at the end of August due to a spell of depression. I try to do 'desk work' (social media, emails, solitaire etc)  in the morning, domestic malarky in the afternoon, and my weird armchair contortions in the evening.

Fran: What do you use to write? A laptop? A pen? Pencil? Live-in secretary?

Annmarie I mostly use a laptop as my writing is illegible after a couple of sentences. I have to write shopping lists out twice as my husband does the shopping and he is not yet fluent in hieroglyphics. If I'm going to my writing group or to a workshop (remember when we used to be allowed out?) I always bring a notebook and pen. It looks far more Hemingway. Although now that I think of it, he used a typewriter, but I'm not lugging one of those around. I don't have a live-in secretary, but having a personal grocery shopper is far more beneficial. 

Fran: What's your best tip for new writers? And I don't mean the council dump. 

Annmarie: Get the idea/words/story out of your head and onto a page. You won't know if it's any good until it's on a page. 

Fran: What do you use to sustain you while writing? Coffee or tea? Biscuits or cake? Rocket leaves on a bed of steak tartare dribbled with blackberry jus?  
 
Annmarie: I do like coffee and my homemade low carb biccies (included in domestic malarky), but I drink a lot of water during the day. I'm on a low carb diet and always have a collection of sugar free 'sucky sweets' as they call them at home, and that's what I tend to dip into when writing. I love freezing cold water with boiled sweets and could happily write for ages just drinking water (and running to the loo). 

And then there were ten



Fran is a writer and English teacher living in Warwickshire. Her latest book is 'Miss, What Does Incomprehensible Mean?' - a funny teacher memoir written in diary form and published by SPCK Publishing. Find out more about Fran and her work right here

Annmarie's latest book is 'Gorse Lodge'. You can find out all about Annmarie right here


Comments

  1. I'm surprised at the Louis XIV writing desk to be honest. I was sure she had one. Grand post as always ad, ladies, you both made me laugh. Thank you for cheering up my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, the rumours were untrue, Wendy. We will have to start new rumours ....

      Delete
    2. I’m getting a bumper sticker made for my bureau - ‘My other desk is a Louis IVX’

      Delete
  2. A joy, an utter joy!!! Exactly what I always think. Oh, for a custom-built writing studio complete with escritoire, bureau, bookcases, open fire, butler (he could live in a cupboard) and views over something inspiring. Dream on, Ruth. I LOVED this!!!!! So so good and made me smile a lot. And chortle. Glad to know I'm not the only one who writes in weird places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked Annmarie, 'If I send you some funny questions, can you send me some funny answers?' and she fulfilled the brief. As for keeping a butler in a cupboard, I'm glad to see you have staff wellbeing as a priority, Ruth Leigh.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ruth. I really enjoyed working with Fran on this. I just hope she sticks to her promise to share the Nobel Peace Prize.

      Delete
    3. You misheard, Annmarie. Knobbly knees prize. Knobbly knees.

      Delete
    4. I say cupboard. It would be deceptively spacious, possibly with some kind of Velux window, seating and a small pantry so that he could be busy polishing the silver until required. I give the staff a day off every month, you know! I am most benevolent.

      Delete
    5. No, no, nothing that bad. I only require genuflection whenever I pass. Jobs for life, uniform and all the mutton stew they can eat.

      Delete
  3. Surprised that you'd want a Louis XIV writing desk. What did he ever write that was worth reading? But a Fran Hill writing desk - now that would be worth having!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, very good, Paul. Would that make my writing as funny as Fran's though? I doubt it.

      Delete
  4. Loved this to bits. Made me laugh and nod along with approval. After writing for years on a child's desk in the corner of the bedroom, I finally got my own study when we moved here to Sussex. I love it. I wish it was nearer the kitchen though. I get massive sugar urges when I write. Not good. I've tried fruit and nuts but they are not as satisfying so now I try and ration myself to one or two squares of dark chocolate instead. Per line, that is. Fab post, Ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I write on the dining table and I paint pictures there too and have to move everything out of the way when we have a meal, which does sometimes annoy me. But I have a burning question from this blog post. What exactly do you mean, Annemarie, by "freezing cold water with boiled sweets"? Does that mean you soak the sweets in the water so you get a sweet kick to offset the low carbs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Fran! I particularly like your questions. I think all writers have a fascination with the favourite writing spaces of others, a kind of primal longing to find the perfect writing desk, as if that will somehow facilitate us composing that ultimate best seller! But we dream on ... My favourite writing space is a local bar/café with good coffee on tap and maybe the odd piece of cake (or two). Sadly, all that is about to change ...

    All power to your writing! Love your posts. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, now you're talking, Pat. I too would choose a coffee shop or bar to write in over writing at home, if I could arrange it and if Covid would just shove off. Somehow, I write better with the background of noise and the buzz and the coffee machine doing its stuff. And thank you - glad you like the posts!

      Delete
  7. Really enjoyed reading this! Yet to rise to the dizzy heights of any desk ownership! Have only just graduated to having a dining room table 🤣 Great fun ladies, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnnMarie, your desk is the 'wrong shape' which is why you have to make yourself into another 'wrong shape' to write! Those desks with the pull-down flap are lovely, but too small! I have one which belonged to my Dad. (Not Louis the anything - just a 1930s imitation...)
    So, Ikea. I mostly write at a largish Ikea desk. Covered in papers and a snakepit of computer-related wires. I used to have a small orange metallic Ikea desk , a cast-off from our daughter who found it too small after the table in her Uni flat. And anyhow she doesn't 'write' as in 'write' - only work reports. As a Dinosaur, folding myself up in a chair isn't a comfy as it used to be, and leads to stiff joints the physio who teaches my exercise class disapproves of!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've spent the last five minutes laughing out loud! Thank you, peeps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading this.

    Just cleared a space in our spare room and bought a small folding desk, more of a table really, so I have a designated place to write. The intention is that I will also clear a space in my life and write more.

    Looking at the empty surface (not many of those in my house!) my first thought was 'Mmm...that would make a good place for my sewing machine'.......No! No! No!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment