Open Brackets



The very first blog ever I wrote for MTW was published on 7th November last year. I was brand new to the medium and had no idea what would happen once I pressed “publish.” Not that I did press it, having no understanding of the technology behind Blogger, or indeed, any technology. After a few pleading messages to Webmaster to the Stars and owner of Dundee’s finest gold-plated cutlery set, Wendy Jones, I was all set.

That first blog was all about authenticity. I’ve learned that all that glisters is not gold and all that you see on Facebook is not the actual truth. Quite the reverse. When I first moved to Suffolk, mother of two little boys, convinced that I was doing everything wrong and was a miserable failure, chirpy Facebook statuses like this would plunge me yet further into the depths of despair.

“Woke up at 6.00, did a couple of washes, hung them out on the line, made the children’s packed lunches, cooked breakfast, off to work!”

I took these statements at face value. Everyone was doing a better job than me and it didn’t matter how hard I tried, I’d be sure to drop a plate somewhere along the way. It took me years to realise that in spite of my parenting, the children would be all right as long as I loved them, fed them approximately three times a day and kept short accounts. So what if the laundry basket was overflowing, the floor covered in Lego, bricks and random plastic toys, the surfaces dusty and the washing up half-done? I wasn’t taking pictures of my house and broadcasting them on social media. Why would I?

Before we go any further, let me confess that I’ve found writing this blog incredibly hard. It’s taken ages and I’ve really struggled. I’ll tell you why in a minute.

Lock down is the perfect time to show off, it turns out. Many, many social media users are getting up early, putting on a wash, cooking a healthy breakfast for their families, doing Joe Wicks (as it very much were) at 9.30, baking, cooking, cleaning, taking up new hobbies, going on nature walks, home schooling their children, teaching themselves to crochet and so on and so forth. At the end of a long hard day of self-improvement, they cuddle up on the sofa with popcorn to enjoy a family film together. I know this because they post about it, constantly, with annoying hashtags.

Last month, I introduced you to Isabella M Smugge. Here’s what I imagine she would write:

“Up with the lark! How blessed I am to live in this beautiful place, which sings to my creative soul. After a simple repast of fresh fruit and yoghurt, I trip across the garden to my writing studio and spend the morning finishing my latest novel. At lunchtime, I bake some healthy treats for the family (no sugar is the rule in this household!) water my veg patch, make some bread and clean the house. Back to writing in the afternoon, keeping up with my fan mail and signing my many books, before enjoying a delicious home-cooked meal with my family. And so to bed!”

Annoying isn’t it?

Here’s mine:

“Awoke eventually after a night of weird dreams. Exhausted from involuntary cerebral activity. Tea and breakfast in bed courtesy of fantastic husband. Dribbled tea on duvet, to accompany egg stain from yesterday. Joined by daughter after husband vacated bed. Did some school work with her. Staggered out of bed, selected least stained clothing. Washed up. Put ingredients for bread in the bread maker. Watered the garden, hung out latest wash. Decided to be a good homemaker. Made bread, prepped rhubarb gin, made rhubarb syrup, picked over a kilo of blackcurrants.”


Let’s pause there for a sec. The first part I trust you can relate to. In the second, I am straying into Look At Me territory. So let’s open those brackets. 

Decided to be a good homemaker. (Brought laptop downstairs so I could play Popmaster while doing awful boring job of picking all the tiny stems and leaves out of the blackcurrants which I picked TWO YEARS AGO, froze and have been too busy to attend to. While opening cupboard door to get caster sugar and yeast out for bread, newly opened yeast packet dribbled a significant amount of its contents on to my laptop!!) Made bread, prepped rhubarb gin. (Sounds so Nigella, doesn’t it. I hate gin. Can’t stand the stuff. However, my cousin makes her own rhubarb gin every year and I love it. It’s the easiest thing in the world to make.) Made rhubarb syrup, picked over a kilo of blackcurrants. (To make more gin. Not jam as I probably should have done. Freezer contains a number of ice-cream cartons filled with gooseberries, redcurrants and blackcurrants which have been staring reproachfully at me for many a month. Picking over blackcurrants stains your hands red. Imagine how the kitchen looked by now).

So, there’s the reason I found writing this blog so hard. Yeast in my laptop. I shook most of it out, but the space bar kept jamming (it could be that the yeast was reacting with the dust down there) making fluid composition jolly difficult, I can tell you.

Everyone’s got at least one set of brackets, but lots of people make it their life’s work to hide them. Hence this (entirely fictional) post: “Made pancakes for children, took pictures of them eating them and posted on Facebook, went for walk with family, took lots of pictures and posted them, made sure children did loads of school work, took pictures and posted them. (“Had another terrible row with husband last night. Got up early to cook pancakes to make up for children crying. Went for a walk to get away from him. Feel that I am damaging the kids by exposing them to all the fighting, shouting and stress, but can’t let anyone know because they’d think less of me. I don’t know what to do. Likes and shares on my posts make me feel happy for a minute or two before I remember what my life is really like.”)
Do you see what I mean? We’ve all got brackets and if we share them, or at least some of them, our writing and our communications are more authentic. Perfect people terrify me – but there are no perfect people. The Bible is full of real people who messed up, who were afraid of what was to come, who were sure they weren’t good enough. And yet love transformed them. 

Being part of this group has taught me so much about honesty and authenticity. Just yesterday, Philippa Linton's blog was wonderfully, bravely honest and every day, a fellow MTW writer will teach me something.

It’s so easy to pretend, or to make things sound better than they really are. Honesty, letting your slip show and revealing the awful truth about a kitchen bake-a-thon is encouraging and, I hope, says to readers, “It’s not just you. We’re all in this together.”

Close brackets.

Images by Pixabay


Ruth is a freelance writer, speaker and poet. She is married with three delightful children, runs a catering company and keeps chickens and quail. She has her first novel in the editing stage, another two on the go, writes poetry as the mood takes her, writes for a number of Christian charities and has has her own business writing blogs for small Suffolk businesses. She is a recovering over-achiever who is now able to do the school run in her onesie most days. She blogs at @bigwordsandmadeupstories, covering topics as diverse as King Zog of Albania, a Christingle plagued by punch-ups and tummy upsets, and the inevitable decline of elderly parents. She has abnormally narrow sinuses and a morbid fear of raw tomatoes, but has decided not to let this get in the way of a meaningful life.

Comments

  1. Wonderful! You had me at the Rhubarb section :D - Jam for me, not gin - Though did make Blackberry brandy earlier on in the year, purely because I love the alliteration. It may just be me but I always try to do honest Facebook posts, though it's only now and again, and certainly not to show off. I loved the (in brackets part of your post, both moving and powerful writing, and far more exciting then my post will be, in two days )

    Ps. Have you thought of writing a book about Isabella M Smugge? I'd certainly like to read more of her random musings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martin! None of us on here show off - I have been so touched by the honesty since I joined. It's a massive encouragement to me. Blackberry brandy eh? I hadn't thought of that. I may try some raspberry vodka if we get a good crop. I hadn't - maybe I should. She is so desperately annoying that it might be fun to try to think of things she would go on about. Have a great day! I can't wait to read your post on the 9th.

      Delete
  2. That's a really enjoyable post, Ruth, thank you. I think, with Martin, that there's a possible book here, though the affairs of Isabella M Smugge would need to include a redemptive thread. But I love the idea of life between brackets, and Between Brackets might be quite a good working title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, thanks Tony! That means a lot. Well, someone like Isabella has been at the back of my mind for many years. A woman who has virtually no insight into how her actions and words affect others but who gradually gains some. I'll think about that. I'm currently working on a book of short stories which is nearly ready to go - just need to find a publisher.

      Delete
  3. And, following the blackcurrant gin / blackberry brandy theme, Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall dedicated a marvellous programme to the creation of nettle beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed he did. My husband and I are massive fans of the great man. I sent him on a River Cottage fishing trip for his 40th. I remember the competition at the Bottle Inn with the nettle eating - hilarious!

      Delete
  4. Yes! I echo Martin: I'd love to hear more of Ms Smugge. A blog series would do it. With your way of saying things, it would be both telling and hilarious. It might even stop the braggers (momentarily) in their tracks. Not that there any, as you say, in our merry band. Your posts are fabulous and you are a treasure - possibly national.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then perhaps she does have legs. They would be slender and finely toned from all the exercise she does, of course. I will ponder. Thank you so much for your lovely words. I am a very happy blogger this morning, and have just added a small mushroom stain to my duvet to celebrate.

      Delete
  5. I really love this idea of the things we don't say or reveal as our brackets. That's a powerful image and very insightful. I don't know if you saw the Romesh Ranganathan video I shared on FB yesterday about homeschooling. I thought it was the most honest thing I've heard on the subject and very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Fran! Yes I did - excellent I thought. Made me feel a lot better about life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have just deleted my comment. Was too honest. Was about 'there are safe things and dangerous things... and the saying 'never complain, never explain...'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often think about "never complain, never explain." It's impossible to do either, I find.

      Delete
  8. Brilliantly put, as always, Ruth. With regards to the Gold Plated Cutlery - it never comes out unless I'm entertaining a billion people because it has to be hand washed. If God had made us for hand washing cutlery, he wouldn't have invented dishwashers. More power to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! Indeed. I could not agree more. Thank the good Lord for washing machines and suchlike.

      Delete
    2. LOVE this blog post! You have such a good touch with humour, as in “ in touch” with what we know but perhaps rather not say, and in your hands it’s funny! Okay, that’s my way of saying thanks for writing this.

      Delete
  9. Brilliant, I am very glad you liked it, Kathleen. Have reduced number of ice cream cartons not containing ice cream in freezer to two! Yes!! Move over Nigella, there's a new kid in town.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Ruth it's a bit like those boastful Christmas newsletters many people used to write but now have transferred their boastfulness to social media instead. I like the brackets but I also like Fran's idea of a line through all the words she was tempted to say then thought better of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that too. I think they are probably one and the same. Your idea about Isabella being an internet siren needs to be worked up into something I feel.

      Delete

Post a Comment