When the tank feels empty… by Nicki Copeland



I’ve been thinking about this post for a few days now. My date has been looming, and I’ve been struggling to think of what I can write about. How to relate my current life events with something that will encourage and inspire all who read it. But… nothing.

As I’ve prayed about it, I’ve just had a sense that I need to be honest about where I’m at. So here it is.

I’m feeling as though I’m processing so many thoughts and feelings at the moment that there’s not much left in the tank for writing. I’ve been wrestling with a whole variety of emotions – from joy and peace all the way through to sadness and grief. As an introvert, I need time to myself to process and work through these, which means I’ve withdrawn somewhat from engaging with social media, and even from my loved ones to an extent.

I’m so very grateful for my family and friends – for their support and unconditional love. God knows what we need, and he ensures we have access to it, and I’m trying to press in more deeply to him during this season too.

I’m very aware that I need to look after my own emotional and mental health. I’ve started knitting again (it’s been a long time…). Tom the tea cosy (pictured) is my first lockdown project, and I’m now working on a patchwork throw. I’m definitely not artistic, so for me, to follow a pattern that someone else has produced is a way to be creative without the angst of having to try to work it all out myself!

Doing things like this – knitting, cutting the grass, cooking, going for a walk – all give me thinking and processing time. I probably don’t do enough of them, so perhaps I should make it my goal to go for at least a short walk every day. I’m still working, so factoring that time in to a busy schedule isn’t always easy, but it is important.

I’m sure I’m not the only one feeling this way at the moment. Lockdown is having a different effect on all of us. And the way we feel may even be quite different every day – perhaps we swing from feeling great one day to really struggling the next. I guess that pretty much sums it up for me.

So if this applies to you too, know you are not alone. Do whatever you need to do to look after yourself. It’s not selfish – it’s necessary. If your tank is empty, you can’t be there for others, so it’s not a luxury – it’s a priority. So don’t feel guilty about taking some time out for yourself.

I feel as though I’m preaching to myself here, but perhaps this is a message I’ve been needing to hear too. God has a way of speaking to me as I write, so maybe this is what he wants to say to me as well.




Nicki Copeland is a freelance writer, speaker, copy editor and proofreader – and loves anything to do with words. She is the author of Losing the Fig Leaf and Less than Ordinary? She is also responsible for the day-to-day running of Instant Apostle publishers. When she has the luxury of some free time, she can invariably be found with a book in one hand and some chocolate in the other.


Comments

  1. One of the things I like most about my daily dose of MTW is that you never know what you're going to get, but it's always authentic and honest. Today is no exception. Thank you, Nicki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your honest musings x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely very close to how I am feeling too - although my knitting isn't going as well as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of us are probably feeling the same. It can be so different from one day to the next!

      Delete
  4. I keep wondering about taking up knitting for the same reasons as you, Nicki, but last time I tried, I found that I was fine as long as things were going well. As soon as I made an error, I was stumped and couldn't work out how to put it right. So frustrating! These days, presumably, there are Youtube videos for beginner knitters, so maybe I could try again, although I think I'd have trouble with the 'Is that your right, and my left, or your left, and my right?' conundrum that tangles me in knots if I ever try to do a fitness video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, that's very frustrating. Fortunately my mum taught me many years ago, and she's a very capable knitter. Otherwise I just interpret the instructions in a way that (in my mind, anyway) seems to be logical! I have a number of abandoned projects from over the years, owing to boredom or frustration, so I know how you feel.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your honesty Nicki. The rollercoaster is quite weird one isn't it? You are so right that it's those mind-freeing activities that allow us to process and work things through. We need this so desperately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah. Yes, it really does feel like a roller coaster at times. Thank you for your encouragement.

      Delete

Post a Comment