How Can I Help?


Copyright Commons.  Attrib Karen Allen.
By Rosemary Johnson

Good morning, this Easter Monday.  Christ has risen.  Even in these grim times, of death tolls in hundreds every day, when NHS workers, care workers, delivery drivers and supermarket workers are working under enormous stress, Christ has risen.  He is there with them.

Me, I am very frustrated because I want to HELP in the present crisis, but all my volunteering applications have dwindled into nothing, including NHS Volunteers and the local Food Bank.  I mean, really, what use is a retired IT tutor?  In the meantime, I’m using my writing skills to email friends and relatives.  Mostly, they send back long chatty replies and I flatter myself that most are delighted to hear from me.  I appreciate that it’s not always possible to discern who amongst my circle is vulnerable and lonely and I hope I’m doing a little for those who are.

This last weekend I sent a circular Easter email, keeping it short and wishing everybody a happy Easter.  I cast it far and wide, including people I know very well, those I know a little and those I haven’t seen for a long time.  The response has been amazing.  Within minutes came emails from a colleague with whom I shared an office in 1978, telling me he missed drinking Real Ale, and from my cousin in Canada, who reported that she had held off grocery shopping for three weeks.  (Congratulations, Cousin Denise!)

So I am using my writing skills to help as far as I can.  What particularly annoys me is those writers on the internet who are declaring that this is the biggest and best possible opportunity to do some proper writing, get that novel done perhaps.  No, it’s not.  We are more than writers.  We are Christian writers.  We are here, first of all, to proclaim the word of God.  If I have the opportunity, later on, to do something practical to support my neighbours, I will put my computer down and do it.

Today I take over as Association of Christian Writers webmaster.  I will be using my IT skills.  But first I must thank the previous webmaster, Wendy H Jones, for the wonderful work she has done in building the ACW Website, maintaining it and refurbishing it.  Also for maintaining this blog, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.  A huge role.  A huge task.  To be honest, I’m a little scared.

I am keen to hand over my existing role, as Competitions Manager, as soon as possible.  If anyone reading this is interested, please contact me at webmaster@christianwriters.org.uk

Rosemary Johnson has had many short stories published, in print and online, most recently at The Copperfield Review, 101 Words, Fictionontheweb and Café Lit.  She has also written a novel about the Cold War which she is – take deep breath – trying to get published.  In real life, she is a retired IT tutor, living in Suffolk with her husband and cat.  


Comments

  1. Glad you are there to give Wendy a chance to hand over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rosemary. I am sure you will be a superb webmaster. All the very best

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment