My greatest encourager by Claire Musters



Some of you will have learned through my Facebook posts that my dear mum went to be with Jesus on 2 February. She had battled chronic illnesses for most of my life, but still managed to teach me more about resilient faith in the face of suffering and difficulties than anyone else I know. Though outwardly she may have been wasting away she definitely was still being renewed inwardly day by day and I will continue to be challenged by her attitude towards life.

Mum was also my biggest champion, and I am so going to miss her encouragement in my daily life, but particularly in my writing. She regularly told me I was doing the things she wished she’d been brave enough to do (regarding writing) but her courage never ceased to amaze me and, as I hope you will see below, her creativity flowed out of her regularly until her body was too worn down to enable her to engage with the painting and poetry writing that she loved doing. 

Mum’s encouragement to me was so appreciated - I’ve already so missed her beady eye proofreading the books I’ve written. In recent years her eyesight and concentration were so bad that she couldn’t read the latest projects I’ve worked on – but that didn’t stop her encouraging words.

There will be a big hole left in my life, but also in my career, by my mum’s death. It has made me reflect on who else I have championing me. I am so grateful to my husband, for his support but also for his willingness to engage with the calling God has put on my life. It has meant he has agreed to write a book with me, telling our story further and hopefully encouraging other married couples. But I’ve been struck and challenged by different Facebook and More than Writer posts by ACW members recently. These include Amy celebrating the small group of writers she regularly engages with online, Wendy reminding us all to be there for one another, and to be kind to each other, and Liz last Friday focusing on how we can encourage with our words.

One thing I learned about my mum is that, while she often struggled with what difference her life could make as she was so often housebound, she never ceased to pray for and actively encourage others. It was so beautiful when, the night before she died, two of my closest friends came to visit and shared with mum just a small part of the legacy she has left: one was so grateful for the way she had always taken the time to encourage her son in his musical gifting whenever she visited, and the other thanked mum for listening to God and giving them their daughter’s middle name.

My mum was one incredible woman, but we can all do that one thing she was so good at. However weak or strong we feel, let’s remember that it doesn’t take too much effort to reach out to encourage another fellow writer. Let us be those who champion one another, who hold each other up through the difficult moments and celebrate the high points in one other’s lives.

Here is a poem mum wrote back in 2007, a reflection on words…

Words, words, words, words                                                           
Tumbling out of a toddler’s mouth.
Words, words, words, words
Silent inside a teenager’s head.

First words of courtship
Hard to express.
Words of awe and wonder
At a baby’s first drawn breath.
Last words of sorrow
As a loved one lies in death.

Words in the airwaves
Circling round the globe
Heard in an instant
Though a thousand miles divide.

Careless words, not thought about
Spoken recklessly
Reaching deep in others’ hearts
To tear and hurt and wound.
Gentle words of love
Fiery words of hate
Words that tear down 
Words that encourage, build up.

Mighty words, majestic words
Words spoken by a Saviour
Lasting down the years.
Words of wisdom, love and peace
Words still speaking now
To those with ears to hear.

God said, as He created
He said – and it was so
The earth and stars and sea and sun
Obeyed Him at His Word.

And if we’ll listen
Still the words                                                     
Are echoing down the years                                
His Words for us                                                
That we would love                                             
And be as one with Him.                                     
That we would use His gift of words                   

In wisdom and in love
Slow to speak to others
Till we’ve heard and recognised
The words He’d have us use
To bring to those around us
His love, His truth, His peace.

Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum to two gorgeous children, pastor’s wife and worship leader. Her books include Taking off the mask: daring to be the person God created you to be, Cover to Cover: Ezekiel A prophet for all times, Cover to Cover: 1–3 John Walking in the truth, Cover to Cover: David: A man after God's own heart, Insight Into Managing Conflict, Insight Into Self-acceptance and Insight Into Burnout. Her latest edition to the Insight Guides series, An Insight into Shame, was published in May and she is currently writing another Cover to Cover on Exodus, a devotional on disappointment and loss as well as a book on marriage alongside her husband. She also writes Bible study notes and magazine articles. To find out more about her, please visit www.clairemusters.com  and @CMusters on Twitter. 

Comments

  1. Lots of love to you, Claire. Thank you for this poignant and meaningful reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this for a second time, but I can't because I will cry and I don't do crying. This is beautiful, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for your loss, Claire. Yes, mothers and daughters have a unique bond. If you have a mother who prays for you and encourages that is v special indeed. I only realised how special exactly a year ago when Mum needed to be placed in a Care Home closer to the main family group at a distance from me (main carer for 15 years). My thoughts and prayers are with you as you work through your loss. God bless xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lady. She's left quite a legacy, hasn't she, in so many ways?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article, Claire. You report that she was a great prayer warrior. That is one of the most important things any of us can do. You should feel proud of her. Love and prayers, Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment