A Room of One's Own by Keren Dibbens-Wyatt




Virginia Woolf famously said that "..a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction." A concept she then turned into the long essay “A Room of One’s Own”. She was really addressing the difference between the genders. Even in her day (Woolf lived from 1882 to 1941), it was only the very rich woman who might have her own space for anything, and a dedicated space for writing was virtually unheard of.

I’d argue that not much has changed. Men too, especially if poor, have very little space of their own. The middle classes might have their studies, dens and even offices (though not necessarily the time to use them), but a writer living in a one bed council house is a bit different. One of the evils of social media is that I now suffer from summerhouse and den envy.

Fortunately, writers tend to have the imagination to make the best of things. If we don’t have a writing shed at the bottom of our garden like Roald Dahl, or even an actual garden, then, as for Jane Austen, needs must; and we can fashion a room out of a chair, or our lap, or a notebook, as long as the tools are there, we can make do. What really matters is finding the room in our days and in our heads.

Solitude and silence, as well as time, are more necessary, to most writers, than space. Those are, naturally what Woolf was really talking about. Being able, as with prayer, to close the door on the world and enter a different plane.

I know that I’m not the only writer who works sitting up in bed. And I suppose, really, I think of my laptop as my “room.” When the last one went belly up, my Mum very kindly bought me a new one, knowing that I live pretty much my whole life on there. And what a room the internet is! Used well, it’s a boon to writers. I can write this article with facts about Woolf at my fingertips, get shed envy, window shop for summerhouses and receive consolation from other writers, all within a few moments.

The web is distracting too, of course, but it is also a place to connect, research and be inspired. The trick, as with all resources, is to use it, rather than it using you. But it is also a place to give. I find that not only do I get great pleasure by giving; sharing art and thoughts, jokes and even proper writing (whatever that is), I also receive in return. Maybe “the room” is there for everyone, and we can all have a little corner of it, desk or no desk, Mac or ASUS Souwester, Word or Scrivener, pen or pencil.

(Photo above from Pixabay. Not sure I could live with that clock though. Below, a quick drawing I attempted of Woolf - she moves fast)



Keren Dibbens-Wyatt is a chronically ill writer and artist with a passion for poetry, mysticism, story and colour. Her writing features regularly on spiritual blogs and in literary journals. Her full-length publications include Garden of God’s Heart and Whale Song: Choosing Life with Jonah. She has a new book, Recital of Love, coming out with Paraclete Press in June 2020. Keren lives in South East England and is mainly housebound by her illness.


Comments

  1. I have got terrible shed/summerhouse envy. I know we are not meant to covet our neighbour's writing pavilion, but I so want one. Your blog has reminded me that we writers do need to have that space in their heads and that anywhere will do to write. My current perch is the sofa. I am suffering from writer's neck (very crunchy) but heck, the words keep coming so who cares where I write them. Thank you Keren. I really enjoyed this. God bless you in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one, Ruth! And with you on the crunchy neck too. Solidarity!

      Delete
  2. A really good read, Keren, and I love your comparison of the room and the laptop/internet. I have a few places in the house I can work - a desk in my bedroom but also a smaller one in my front room - but I still (ungratefully) am jealous of anyone with a kitchen big enough to have a giant table on which to work. I work best in the 'buzz' of a kettle boiling and a pan on the stove, and even a radio turned down low. Silence and solitude I find more intimidating. Keep writing - you have a lovely, fluent style which is always a joy to read, and the picture isn't half bad either!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran, I appreciate that. I can't cope with any noise at all, but I think that's as much the illness as anything. People who can work with background stuff going on amaze me!

      Delete
  3. Keren, you reminded me of Susannah Wesley, who created a quiet space for prayer amidst her enormous family by throwing her apron over her head.
    I have some favourite spaces for writing, particular armchairs generally which are also my prayer spaces - I'm sure that's not a coincidence. But you are so right about the important thing being making space in our days and heads.
    Thank you for another beautiful and thought provoking piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can't believe I didn't put Susannah's apron in this piece, as it is something I know and love about her! I also pray and write in the same place, Liz, and like you, I believe the two are related. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  4. I know I am very blessed to have a room of my own, but it definitely, many years ago, saved my sanity. I'd had a whole house to myself, and on getting married and having children was reduced to half a bedroom. A room-switch gave me a den. Such sanity as I have results from that. Yes, I write there, but it's also a hideaway, necessary solitude, even though the children have left home! You are amazingly stoical, and produce such wonders under such difficult circumstances. I admire both your fortitude and your creativity (in all senses.) More power to you, Keren.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful, Keren. I love the idea of the internet being a room we can enter. I agree with you - there are so many rooms in life that are not actual spaces. You write in a way that draws me in and then I don't want you to stop! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, Deborah, you say such lovely things! And don't worry, I can't afford to stop :)

      Delete

Post a Comment