Chips, Cheese and Chocolate: A Lent Reflection


Many years ago, when I worked in the Department of Psychology at University College London (Lord, how I loved that job!) I decided to give up sarcasm for Lent. I’d got married in 1993 and moved back from Exeter to Epping Forest, from whence I had originally come. I’d become a Christian the year before and was keen to do the right thing. Giving up nice things beginning with “c” such as chips, cheese and chocolate was all very well, but at the time I did employ sarcasm a fair bit (I worked in academia, dear readers) and it seemed like the right sort of way to focus my mind during this important time in the Christian calendar.

I informed my boss, the delightful Head of Department, of my decision. He looked concerned. “Lent’s 40 days, isn’t it?” he enquired, brow furrowed. “I don’t know if we can last that long.” We had an excellent relationship, underpinned with deep respect for the other’s beliefs and full of humour. He came from a Jewish family but didn’t practice. He explained that his mother would always tell him to remember he was Jewish, which he duly did, but no other instructions were forthcoming.


 The first day of Lent arrived. I arrived in the office full of good intentions. I avoided sarcasm completely and threw in a hearty dose of sincerity to be on the safe side. My boss lasted 6 days before he cracked. Hands clasped, as if in prayer, he hurtled out of his office and begged me to stop. “I can’t bear it! It’s not natural. Please give up something else!”

I’ve produced lots of articles about Lent over my writing career and it’s quite difficult to strike the right tone. It’s a hugely significant period in the Christian calendar and I’m always fascinated by the way that so many people of differing beliefs and no beliefs at all will take it on. Giving up something for 40 days is tough, no two ways about it and it does focus the mind wonderfully.


In June 2008, I got my first freelance writing job with Stewardship, a wonderful Christian charity. They gave me my start, have taught me so much and helped me develop my writing no end. I can’t say enough nice things about them. If you don’t know about them, have a look at what they do here: https://www.stewardship.org.uk/.

Ten years ago, one of my Stewardship colleagues, Debbie Wright (also an ACW member) had an idea. Instead of giving up for Lent, why not give out instead? Debbie’s idea has become an award-winning Lent campaign, 40acts, now in its 10th year. 40acts asks the question, “What if Lent could be about more than just giving stuff up?” It’s super-easy to get involved (just click here: https://40acts.org.uk/). You join a worldwide community of over 100,000 people, all taking part in various generous acts. I love it. Each day I look forward to receiving the email in my inbox telling me what that day’s act is. You get to read a reflection from a different person every day and it’s the most wonderful way to make you really think what Lent, and indeed Easter, is all about.
These days, I’m not nearly so sarcastic. It would be as easy as wink to give that up. However, committing to 40 days of generosity each year has changed me and I want that to continue. In 19 days, that first reflection will hit my inbox. It’s quite a journey. Let me know if you’d like to join me.

Ruth is a freelance writer, speaker and poet. She is married with three delightful children, runs a catering company and keeps chickens, quail and two very vocal guinea fowl named Gloria and Gordon. She has her first novel in the editing stage, writes poetry as the mood takes her, writes for a number of Christian charities and has just started her own business writing blogs for small Suffolk businesses. She is a recovering over-achiever who is now able to do the school run in her onesie most days. She blogs at Big Words And Made Up Stories (https://www.facebook.com/Big-Words-And-Made-Up-Stories-102620407952535/?modal=admin_todo_tour), covering topics as diverse as King Zog of Albania, a Christingle plagued by punch-ups and tummy upsets, and the inevitable decline of elderly parents. She has abnormally narrow sinuses and a morbid fear of raw tomatoes, but has decided not to let this slow her down.

Images by Pixabay

Comments

  1. I love this post. And I particularly liked the cheese photo. Definitely don't intend to give up cheese for Lent! This idea for Lent sounds good...I'll have a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! Glad you like it. It's so much easier to do 40acts and be super generous than to give up cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in Epping for a year whilst I was at drama school and at least two of my old classmates used to give up alchol for Lent but then go and get totally plastered at the end, which I always found quite sad. 40acts is a brilliant idea and I can't imagine how many lives it's changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you go to East 15 Martin? It is fundamentally flawed - giving something up then bingeing on it. 40acts is superb - such an inspiring campaign.

      Delete
  4. I've done 40acts a few times - we've also got our Boys' Brigade Company doing it too. This year, I'm going with a Lent Prayer Tree. I definitely prefer to take on a discipline for Lent rather than give ups something superficially (although giving up chocolate would be a real discipline for me!).
    I love the fact that your boss couldn't cope with your giving up sarcasm!
    And, living in North London, weekend trips to Epping Forest were a great treat in my childhood. I remember church sponsored walks there too. And I worked at St Margaret's Hospital in Epping for a while. Small world... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear, Liz. I know. He was genuinely beside himself! I was born at St Margaret's. If we sat down together for long enough, we'd find some connection I'm sure.

      Delete

Post a Comment