Prayer Before Penning by Trevor Thorn

Life Forces by the author

Several years ago, I was at a local ACW meeting during which we broke into small groups to discuss what helped and what hindered our writing. As various ideas were discussed, one of the group asked whether it was our practice to pray before we started to write. Until then, I had a somewhat unformed couple of sentences that I sometimes used and at other times, simply forgot to use. This challenge, however made me think somewhat more clearly of what I wanted to offer to God in my writing. It was a helpful challenge - and what emerged was this.

My prayer for creativity.

Gracious Spirit,
inspire in me
holy creativity
that I may do (write/paint/craft/organise)
bold things for you
and to Christ's glory.

I offer this to any authors, not so much as a rounded prayer but as a starting thought for framing your own simple prayer that catches up what you personally feel called to offer God in your writing. If you already have a short prayer, it might be helpful to others to see what you have gathered into your pre-writing offering. And whilst, it may not be before ‘penning’ these days but in front of a keyboard and screen, I encourage you to present your creativity as an expression of your love for God and maybe a hope that what your write will lead others to the Lord. 

May your writing be greatly blessed. 

Comments

Post a Comment