BORROWED WORDS by Liz Manning



It’s ironic, isn’t it, as a writer, to run out of words?


But there are times when events overtake us and life becomes overwhelming, emotions beyond the limits of mere language.


As a writer, and a Christian, where words are what I turn to for expression and connection, both to others and to God, these can be the times when this lifeline deserts me and I am left drifting out on a sea of feelings and circumstances on nothing more substantial than a Lilo.


That’s when I need a lifeboat manned by other people.


That’s when, like the crippled man on the mat, I need to be carried by others’ faith.


That’s when I need other people’s words to borrow.


It’s often songs that help. The added benefit of music, which expresses more than lyrics alone, speaks directly to my heart and lets me expel the anguish of helplessness and longing as I sing along. Often I find a particular song ‘fits’ so I play and sing it repetitively, holding on to its truths for dear life. Secular or sacred, I believe God hears it and accepts it as a prayer.


Lyrics and poetry sustain too, tying down slippery emotions into recognisable patterns, taming their wildness by reminding me that I am not alone in this experience – others walk this path with and ahead of me.


Books are a Godsend. They can be an escape, a place to hide and shelter from the storm. Or they can be a light of companionship, hope, and guidance along the way. Mags Duggan’s God Among The Ruins or Sheila Walsh’s It’s Okay Not To Be Okay come to mind.


And then there’s God’s own word to borrow. All those years of Bible reading and studying, when maybe passages seemed dull or irrelevant, can pay off with remembered verses. And if the specific reference doesn’t come to mind (as is so often the case for me), the internet is a wonderful resource for looking it up. Or following a regular Bible study, be it daily notes or a reading plan, it’s amazing how often God’s word resonates with my situation. There is nothing neat or tidy about the Bible – the full gamut of emotion is in there – repeating the words helps me share my feelings with God honestly too.



Sometimes I borrow my own words. I go back and read old entries in my prayer journal – it can bring reassurance, jolt my memory of past lessons I’d forgotten, promises God spoke, or prayers answered. (I like to think of the king in the Book of Esther listening to his historical record when he couldn’t sleep and the results of that).


Sometimes it’s good to share what we’re going though publicly on a blog or in a book or article – maybe at the time, maybe later. One day, perhaps I’ll share the specifics of my current difficulties like I did when my dad was going through dementia. Then maybe others can borrow my words when they need them.


Liz Manning fits writing around being an Occupational Therapist, BB captain, wife, and mum to two adult sons. Or perhaps it's the other way round. She blogs regularly at https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/

Comments

  1. Thanks, Liz. This blog was very helpful for me. Sometimes when I struggle to find words to fit into what I’m thinking or writing, all these ‘words from other sources’ come to my aid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it was helpful Barbie. There's such solidarity in others' words, isn't there? Like the lame man being carried by his friends.

      Delete

Post a Comment