The Tipping Point by Jane Clamp



   I wish the title of this blog referred to the daytime TV gameshow. I wish my lifestyle allowed me the indulgence to watch such casual entertainment. But no, I refer instead to the defining moment where the balance in a situation is altered to such an extent that change is inevitable, unavoidable and to be embraced.

Copyright marketingland.com
   We all have tipping points. In negative circumstances, we might call it ‘the straw that broke the camel’s back.’ We’re keeping those plates spinning, our heads turning almost as fast as they are in our attempts to stay alert, stay focussed, not relaxing our guard. All it takes is for one more plate to appear in our peripheral vision and that’s it. Game over. A lot of sweeping up to do.

   More positively, there might be a life-change you’ve been hoping to make. Perhaps a Bible verse you’ve had niggling in your head for a while, and you wonder when it will be fulfilled. There might be a promotion you’ve wanted, an opportunity you’ve craved. You carry on through the day-to-day as normal, but your heart isn’t settled and your thoughts are distracted. It’s possible, actually, to be in this ‘limbo’ state for a very long time; but then you sense something shift. You’re moving towards the tipping point.

   For years now, I’ve juggled many different activities and occupations. I put it down to the twin motivations of having a low boredom threshold and wanting to squeeze this one life of mine down to the pips. It works very well, most of the time. I’m productive, creative, never stuck for something to do. But, increasingly, I’m over-tired, stretched, fearful of the effects of stress on my health. I know I’m reaching the tipping point, and one area dominates: writing.

Since I attended my first writing course in 2013, I’ve been badly bitten by this bug! It produces an itch I have to keep scratching and the passing years have only intensified it. From the early period of not knowing what to write (but writing something, anything, anyway) to finally working out what I want to say. From not even daring to walk down the drive, never mind knocking at a door, to finding openings and opportunities. From wondering what a deadline might feel like, to having more than I can process at once. All of this has been exciting and thrilling. It’s also bringing me to a tipping point. I have an increasing sense that it’s time to let go of the workload I’ve been carrying and be more fully what He is calling me to be: a writer.

My next steps forward will be ones of faith. I feel God’s nudge, reminding me he’s in control. Friends have rallied with encouragement and prayer and ACW are as supportive as ever. I’d love to hear your comments – perhaps you’re feeling the same way? I sense we’re all in it together!




Jane Clamp is author of Too Soon, a mother's journey through miscarriage (SPCK). She is ACW Groups' Coordinator.

Comments

  1. Very exciting. I can certainly identify with the stress part ;) This year has certainly been more active writing wise then ever before but I don't feel I'm at a tipping point yet. Here's to you fulfilling your calling in all it's glory! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martin. I've been enjoying watching your development as a writer - your time will come! In the meantime, it's great to be cheered on x

      Delete
  2. I love the way you put this! I, too, am on a journey toward change. I can feel it. God is laying the groundwork and keeps moving me forward. I know He will continue to open doors and teach what this new path requires. It takes faith to stay the path. That’s how I know it is His hand. It reminds me of a little quote that has never left my heart, “The steps of faith fall on the seeming void, and find the Rock beneath.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great quote!
      The thing about change is that you can't ignore it. Like the transition of the seasons, particularly when Autumn's on its way, there's a smell in the air, an undeniable sense that things aren't going to be the same.
      I pray your journey towards change will be on solid rock. x

      Delete
  3. Great decision. Being a full time writer is scary but the best job and feeling in the world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It starts now! Thanks for being one of my cheerleaders :)

      Delete
  4. There comes a point when the desire for your thoughts and opinions from others are taking the largest part of your being. Making those times equal in income to your needs is always the stumbling block as few of those that need you want to talk about 'scratching that need' that only you feel. If those tempters are honest and speak early on in the discussions, or you are brave enough to place it gently on the table for discussions early on? How do you value you? You need to have a very clear idea of what you 'day rate' time is worth as the base need and a firm idea evaluating of your incured costs. I'm sure that with all the skills you have Jane, learned over a number of years with the variety of 'plates you've spun' that you know this already - that is the tipping point. You are a remarkable person Jane and I'm confident that 'All things will be well - - - " Thanks for sharing, onward and upward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David! I've been trying to balance it all out in my thoughts but in the end felt that God simply needed obeying! Once it becomes about faith and not sight, it's so much easier!

      Delete
  5. Great post, Jane. I too am searching for a new way forward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went through a similar situation last year where I knew that God was saying this is the time, that He wanted to use me more as a writer. Nevertheless, it's difficult to let go and the other things, such as teaching, will always be a part of me too, just not to the same extent.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment