Who's With Me? by Jane Clamp





I had an interesting experience during a piano lesson I was giving recently. The lady concerned is a Christian and we both get more out of our time together than improved playing. This week, she was struggling with a rather beautiful piece by Chopin, nicknamed the Raindrop Prelude. It’s quite a challenge on many levels and, after having a bash at it, she exclaimed, “You’d never know I’d practised this!”



I thought for a while and then responded: “It seems to me like you’re not accessing the piece. You’re playing it but it makes no sense. You’ve lost the music in the “doing.” It’s like you’re trying to open a door but only managing to rattle the handle.”



Her face lit up. I had described how she was feeling and it helped. Together we worked on some of the harder passages until she said, “I’m in!”



When you’re writing, do you sometimes feel you can’t “get in”? That you’re bogged down in grammar and words and spellings and how you’re “supposed” to do it? Factor in the plot, the characters, the genre, the style – never mind the market, the readership, the publisher! There can be a lot of handle-rattling, and not a lot of getting to where you want to be.



Now, here’s the thing. My pupil had me next to her as she played. There was a sense of togetherness, a “two heads are better than one;” especially when one of the heads knew what it was doing! So, how about getting yourself a writing buddy? Someone who, perhaps, is a little further along than you; someone who understands the difficulties and challenges but has experience of overcoming some of them? Someone who, metaphorically, says, “Try turning the handle this way…”



A writing buddy can be more than a door-opener. They can be an explainer of technique, perhaps. Or they can usefully question some of your plot, character and setting choices. “Why is he called Gregory?” “Why is it set in Newton-in-the-Willows?” “Why is it significant that she’s allergic to her cat?” The way you answer could illumine the way forward into the next section.



Your writing buddy is your fiercest critic and your staunchest ally. They will be the ones who tell you something you’ve written is ridiculous, and you will accept it because they mean it kindly and are the only ones who will dare to tell you. Plus, you trust them completely, don’t you?



He or she will be the one who breaks the isolation by a phone call or a message. The one who helps bear the burden of writing as well as shares your joys and successes when they come. The one who cheers you on, and on, and on.



So, who has a writing buddy already?

Who wants to be one?

Who wants to have one?



Who’s with me?




Jane Clamp is ACW Groups' Coordinator. Her first book, Too Soon, is due to be published in August 2018 by SPCK. She is currently completing her second novel.




Comments

  1. I have one, the very talented (and modest) C.F.Dunn, and I dare to think I am hers. We have different skills and different weaknesses, and - fortunately - different styles and genres and ways of working, so there is no rivalry. We help one another with writing, of course, with all its various challenges - but are also friends. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart sings in reply! How lovely for you both. Some of my truest friendships have been born from our shared love of writing.

      Delete
  2. Jane, great blog - no truer word written. Having a writing buddy in Sue Russell (SL Russell) has been one of the best things about this writing lark. We prop each other up when the going's tough, share concerns and triumphs, and help support those areas which pose particular challenges (I'm dyslexic and Sue is a whizz at grammar and spelling). I never feel judged and always know I can get an honest appraisal. It's a working partnership based on shared experience, faith, friendship, literary ambition, and coffee. A writing buddy is gold dust - start panning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So blessed by your reply. Thanks, Claire xx

      Delete
  3. Brilliant post Jane. Writing buddies are the best! Mine is perceptive, funny, wise and encouraging. But she won't pull any punches when I need an honest assessment. What more could I want? Well, if she lived next door, that would be good :) We live miles apart but that is actually no hindrance. We chat often, on line and by phone and when we do spend time together, on writing retreats or just catching up, it's even more special. Fran Hill, take a bow :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I say "lucky you" without being excommunicated? What a privilege you have in having Fran. Perhaps you can loan her out occasionally....

      Delete
  4. I have an accountability buddy, but I need a writing buddy. I would love one! I just need to find one now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liked, very good point indeed, accompaniment on the journey...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am I right in thinking there's a difference between a writing "buddy" and a "mentor"? The first strikes me more as a relationship of equals, whereas a mentor sounds more like someone who is further ahead helping someone further back. Is that right, or am I making this up? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment