Three Lenten poems by Philippa Linton


The mountains shimmer ... image from Pixabay

Desert, day one

There is now only him
under the white sky.
The mountains shimmer,
the wind scours every cell,
sand grained beneath his fingernails.
For the first time he feels
how vast and uncaring
the universe is
to a merely mortal.
Nothing but the rocks
and crows.  He notices the
sparrows, wanly smiles.
Cold at night
beneath the ancient waltz of stars,
he sets his face as flint
facing his destiny
this is the path
this is his way
here where he yields
to being forged like
a flame
in the desert.

Ash Wednesday, 9 March 2011
The real me. The eternal You ... image from Pixabay
 


Ash Wednesday
Into the wilderness,
something has driven me,
thirsty and hungry.
The valley of desolations,
the criss-crossing paths of another’s suffering.
I’d rather blot it out but
heavy clouds are massing.
Rain.
At least there will be rain
in this desert.

Alone on the mountain.
Only bare scarred rock
and the pale sheet of sky
and the trickle of a spring nearby.
I can sense, not see,
the wind that can shatter,
 the quake that can break.

And all around me, the voice.
And within me, a voice.

The real me. The eternal You.
I will not hide away.
See, Lord, this time I’m not hiding.

Ash Wednesday, 22 February 2012


Little springtime ... photo by me


Little springtime

Softly the spring steals in.
Your sunlight gilds
the stripped and shining trees.

The frozen ground is waking up.
A green mist dawns, the birth of leaves.
Unfurl your life in me.

Spirit, renew my spirit.
Such frigid air kissed warm and sweet,
You thaw and soften me.

 Lent, 2018


Comments

  1. I really like the 'ancient waltz' of the stars! Very striking image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful poetry - thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment