Eat Cake and Celebrate by Brendan Conboy

I am just about to publish my 11th book and know that I should be looking forward to an exciting book launch but I always have mixed feelings at this stage.  Does anyone else feel like this or am I being weird?

I didn’t bother with an official launch for my first three books, partly because I was so naïve and also because I struggled somewhat to call myself an author.  It just felt too pretentious to bother with a launch.  By the time I had finished writing my 4th book I wanted to celebrate but it was during the lockdown, so I launched on Zoom.  I’ve used Zoom ever since, though some books have still slipped out without any form of celebration.

Why are we so reluctant to celebrate our own successes?  Why can it feel so alien?  I am getting better at this and this time, for my 11th book there will be cake.  I’ve never even bothered with this before, I mean how do you share cake online?  I guess you don’t, so that means there will be more for me (yum yum).

There is much to prepare for a book launch and others have written plenty of blogs and posts about good ideas for a launch.  The one thing that I like to think that I do well is the technical side.  I spend the day before transforming my dining room into a studio.  You may not like my book (another poetry book) but come along to the launch and hopefully, you will gain some techy ideas for your own book launch.  We can all learn, I never thought about cake until I saw others doing it.

I do hope that you can join me on Zoom on Monday 17th April at 7.30pm prompt.  I will also be giving away two signed copies of my book, ‘Half Man Half Poet’ and who doesn’t like a free book?  JOIN ZOOM BOOK LAUNCH HERE (enter from 7.15pm onwards).

 


Brendan Conboy aka Half Man Half Poet is the author of 11 published books including his fascinating autobiography, The Golden Thread.  In 1986, Brendan invited Jesus into his life and God blessed him with the gift of rhyming words.  He used that gift as a Christian Rap artist for 25 years and has written 5 poetry books including the entire Book of Psalms in Rhyme.  He has 3 published novels - Issues, Invasion of the Mimics and Legacy of the Mimics.  He is the creator of Book Blest Christian book festival.  Brendan is available for speaking events, poetry performances and workshops.  Visit Brendan's website HERE.

Comments

  1. Congratulations Brendan.
    You're so right about learning from others. I went to see The Mousetrap last night and was in awe of the set designer and builders' skills.
    I will aim to join your launch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new book! Hope the launch goes off fizzingly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Brendan. I really really understand your feelings and share them. I will be holding my own launch later this year and am aware I need to start the 'getting it known' process now. Thanks for sharing. If I am free I would like to come to your launch but would need captions activated your end to be able to follow it as I am deaf. Every blessing on your new book Brendan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tracy I'll look into the captions

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Brendan!! 11, did you say? Wow!! We will try to be there by God's grace. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Brendan, getting another book published is a brilliant achievement. I can understand your reluctance to celebrate success though, I know I would have similar feelings. I will certainly try to join on the 17th.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment