The Spaces In Between (Part 1) by Sarah Sansbury

Last week I took some time out in Enneagram-land, courtesy of an excellent online course run by the Scargill Community. As you may know, the Enneagram is a personality assessment tool, with the aim of gaining deeper self-knowledge and spiritual life insights. As you respond to a series of statements about yourself, your answers guide you down a path towards one of nine (“ennea” in Greek) categories, identified by a number and a descriptive name.

I am still a beginner in this process, but I did learn some interesting things during the course. Not all of them comfortable, but mostly enlightening. Here are just two observations:

Firstly, much as I expected and wanted to, I couldn’t quite squeeze myself into the criteria for Number 4, “The Artist/Romantic”. With my poetic aspirations, I was hoping to indulge a long-held secret urge to swan around in extravagant scarves and frilly sleeves, pausing only to languish dramatically on a threadbare chaise longue. Alas. (I may be exaggerating marginally here.) Instead, I found myself firmly self-categorized as a Number 5, “The Observer/Investigator”, the type of person who always has a pen, reads dictionaries like thrillers, and squirrels herself safely in the attic behind her book stashes to research, write, and rejoice in language minutiae, well away from parties, people, and other scary entities. (This may also be a slight caricature).

The second thing I learned was that these enneagram classifications were not referred to as “types”, but “spaces”, which somehow felt less constraining. Spaces to be ourselves within the gentle boundaries of our capabilities and weaknesses, following threads of potential and growth by God’s grace. The whole thing set me thinking about the significance of spaces.


Truthfully, the biggest space in my own life in recent times has in fact been my writing. Despite the joys of participating in the recent ACW event in London and hosting our lovely ACW poetry group each month, I have Not Written Anything. Wide plains of white pages and pots of pens await me patiently on my desk. I love writing. It has not been happening. I can’t explain why. Compulsive social media scrolling may have something to do with it. Distractions abound.

Notwithstanding … A friend explained to me recently the concept of a different kind of space: the “therapeutic pause”. This is not related to the owning of a fluffy pet for medicinal reasons (although maybe it should be), but rather the concept of coming back to a difficult piece of writing, music, or other work, after time away doing something else entirely, to discover that, through some neurological wizardry, everything has fallen into place. Your brain has been processing the necessary elements while taking a salutary break.

Perhaps there’s hope for me yet. 




(Photos courtesy of Pixabay)

Comments

  1. I experience huge pauses, Sarah. They may even be fruitful! I enjoyed your wry humour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm - the Enneagram is interesting, and has really taken off in recent years. It's good you found it helpful in defining the quality and usefulness of time off from creation. People tend to call that time off 'procrastination' but it is indeed a necessary relaxation from the onward march of the brainwork involved in writing (or any other creative activity). In my opinion, that is. (It's also a time to get the tasks of ordinary life done!) Shall look forward to Part 2 next month - or further on into the future, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Clare. Love your expression "the onward march of brainwork".

      Delete
  3. Oh I do like this! I chuckled most heartily at your exaggerated descriptions. Don't we all yearn for frilly sleeves, metaphorically speaking? I loved the idea of pauses - and that must be right. Those spaces are there for a reason, fallow times while the fruit is ripening on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your comment. All I can say in return is "plethora" (it means a lot).

      Delete
  4. I'm sure the having a break and a pause from writing is a good thing, Sarah. I think what helps to get me back into gear again though is deadlines. There's nothing quite like 'having to' for getting the brain and writing hands busy again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely true Sheila! If I ever create a heraldic shield for myself, the motto would have to be the Latin equivalent of "By the skin of my teeth"!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed that Dorothy. Thank you for your kind comment.

      Delete
  6. Your blog brought back some happy memories. The Enneagram is very interesting, and I took par in an Enneagram course at Wells Cathedral quite a long time ago now. It was run by Rev Margi Walker, and as she is now living near Scargill, I wondered if she ran your course? In 2018 I self-published a book called How to create believable characters using the Enneagram. It was fun to write, with examples of characters inhabiting different 'spaces'. The book accompanied a course I ran at the Swanwick Writers' Summer School in 2018, a great place to meet fellow-writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting Veronica! And yes, my course was indeed led by Margi. I am very interested to hear more about your book.

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed reading this very much. You have a lovely way with words and the humour is great.Look at that... You ARE writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes... So I am! November will be my month to go deeper and catch up with the 101 creative writing courses I seem to have signed up for... Thanks Joy for your kind encouragement!

      Delete
  8. I'd never heard of the Enneagram - that sounds so interesting! I think I'd be worried about what it might reveal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran for your comment! I hope I have not put you off the Enneagram process. I think it can be a bit daunting at first, but very helpful in the long run. I have signed up for part 2 which, Covid permitting, will be in person at Scargill.

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed your acknowledgement of the importance of spaces and thought the cloister illustration wonderfully appropriate. Spaces are marked by strong columns of support, that contribute to the beauty of the place in which you dwell. Your support system seems to be providing the strength and quality of peace you need at present. Like previous contributor I look forward to Part 2
    Claire Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Claire for your kind comment. Your words about the cloister photo are beautiful and reflective. Funnily enough, after sourcing the image on Pixabay, I discovered that the cloister is in an abbey in Schaffhausen, Switzerland, where my husband often goes on business. I may have to tag along with him next time to visit it.

      Delete
  10. Oh, this is such a great post, Sarah! I have never heard of the Enneagram and was worried it was a medical procedure. As, I read on it became apparent that perhaps in a way it was! How very interesting. The closest I've come to doing anything like that before is Myers Briggs which, I think, must be quite different. I love the idea of a therapeutic pause, something I am not good at and would like to embrace more often. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah- how very interesting- personally i cant picture you as floating around etherically with scarves but more as a demure lady in a cardigan picking flowers in the garden fervently writing away in your spare time !! I love the idea of spaces- I am most happy being outside walking in my own space where I can think & appreciate what is around us & relish in my own spirituality without the constraints of a church or other people- words will come I know I have my best thoughts & ideas in the middle of the night at times when everyone else is fast asleep- I have note book and pen at the ready & often enjoy a mug of tea & my own space at 3am !! Take a break have a pause & you will find your inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Having done all three parts of the Enneagram course with Becky Widows, one and two at Scargill and part three at Lee Abbey, I find it extremely useful in understanding myself. (I bought Veronica's book but I'm not a fiction writer, so less likely to use the Enneagram to create characters although looking at Bible characters in the light of it can be informative too.)
    You can never really understand somebody else with the Enneagram because you can never be inside their head, but I'm guessing that Sarah will find she has a well-developed four wing - floaty sleeves and all - when she progresses to part two.
    Enjoy!
    Jane B 8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Number 8s often find it hard to really understand somebody else! Sorry if that sounds like a sweeping statement, but it was qualified by the word 'often' !! Thanks for buying my book anyway. It's going into the ACW bookshop shortly, under a new heading of Non-fiction.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful words Sarah ! I hope you used one of those blanck papers and à pen from the pot! I received some words today through the post..
    'sometimes the most important thing in a day....is the rest we take between two breaths.'
    Keep on being you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment