Beating a Retreat by Jane Clamp


As a new departure, I recently had the privilege of leading a retreat for writers at a Christian hotel. The setting couldn’t have been more perfect, with stunning views from the front rooms, warm hospitality and excellent food.

Who wouldn't want to wake up to a view like this?


The group soon settled in and we quickly jelled around ice-breaking activities on the first night. The next morning, the course began in earnest with morning sessions focussed on an aspect of the writing craft followed by free afternoons in which to write or relax. After our delicious three-course meal, each evening offered the chance for us to share with each other what we had produced. The pieces were heart-warming, well-crafted and made us both laugh and cry.



I remember well the first ever retreat I went on. Led by the very funny, talented and prolific Nick Page, that week changed my life. Not only did I meet people who have become firm friends, it marked the point where I could say, albeit in a slightly wobbly voice, that I was a writer. Having the opportunity to devote time and energy in single-minded focus made all the difference – as did encouragement, tuition and that all-important fun and laughter.



Truly, there is a joy in meeting together with fellow writers. Whether it’s one-to-one over coffee, discussing plot or insecurities, or with local groups, anything that breaks down the writing isolation is invaluable. But perhaps I could plant a seed of possibility for 2020: that you consider investing some time (and, yes, money) in going on a course or retreat; spending time immersed in an atmosphere that could take your writing to a different level.



I’d love to hear your stories of how writing retreats and courses have helped you. Do comment!



Jane Clamp is the author of Too Soon, a mother's journey through miscarriage (SPCK) and regularly appears on Premier Radio and UCB. 


Comments

  1. Oh Lord yes!! If I could, I would jump in the car and drive to a retreat right now. For a couple of weeks. By the sea if possible, but anywhere would do. I haven't managed a full-on retreat yet, but my times spent with the ACW members at various Writers' Days have been so encouraging, educational and fruitful. They've untapped a vein of creativity that has surprised me and which have also put me on the road to being a "proper" writer. Go on then. It's a challenge. I hereby vow to go on a writers' retreat or weekend in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a brilliant vow! Do it, do it, do it!
      Thanks for your encouraging comments.

      Delete
    2. I've got to do it now, it's out there!!

      Delete
    3. Nothing like a bit of accountability....!!

      Delete
  2. I'm always pleasantly amused by the amount of noise writers make chatting on the Scargill 'Retreat'! Having been at Scargill for one or two of their other activities, I can say that we ACW types are the noisiest by far... and wonder if your meals at this retreat were the same...Is this the result of being let out of 'creative solitude' to meet up? It seems to be... all those creative egos...! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a certain amount of what I shall call 'natural liveliness' does present itself! The idea of a silent retreat of any kind fills me with dread...

      Delete
  3. I agree with you - these events and retreats are often a turning point. I had some real boosts to my confidence on Arvon courses from the course leaders who were already successful writers, and those have stayed with me. I mean, the boosts have stayed with me, not the successful writers ;) More's the pity as I could have milked their contacts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joking aside, I don't think you can underestimate the importance of connection or networking. All my significant breakthroughs have come from meeting the right people at the right time.

      Delete
    2. I love retreats, and I love writing, so ... it's win-win all round. I've done two Arvon retreats, and I also went on an excellent retreat at Penhurst Retreat Centre in November 2015, with authors Claire Dunn and Penelope Wilcock.

      Delete
    3. Sounds superb! I think if the setting is good (and the food) you're onto a winner before you start.

      Delete

Post a Comment