Writing prompts by Claire Musters


Everywhere I turn there seem to be writing prompts popping up – for example, the wonderful Adrianne Fitzpatrick has been posting them regularly into our Facebook group, Five Minute Friday provide them and the Flourish Writers’ Conference covered the importance of them too.

This all got me thinking: as a non-fiction writer and regular journaller, what prompts me to write? Here are my thoughts: I hope that something prompts you to write today ;)

A Bible verse or devotional note – sometimes a new thought on an old truth has me reaching for my pen/keyboard.

A life-changing event – it is often a big event that can trigger ideas for writing for me. Perhaps life has altered forever due to a new relationship, career change or a fresh revelation from God. Or perhaps a difficult, sad event has caused pain – this links into the below point, but I currently have a file open on my computer in which I pour out all my responses to the death of a dear young mum in our church, and how it has been leading the church through grief. I also write in there regularly about my response to my mum’s slow slide towards death.

My disappointments and struggles – I find I am really able to wrestle with my emotions through my writing, finding clarification and, often, hope. But there is also space to sit in the confusion too and being able to do that in my writing is such a helpful gift.

Things that unsettle or agitate me – I got this idea from Sensible Shoes, in which the spiritual director suggested the characters stayed with the things that gave them uneasy or irritated feelings. Often I find those emotions end up being prompts from God about an area in my life he wants to work on. I now take time to explore these further in my journal when appropriate.

Things to be thankful for – sadly, my writing is often much more note-like when I’m writing about things I’m grateful for – it is the disappointments that I seem to be able to pour endless words over. However, I find it can be a helpful discipline, and changes my perspective and my mood, when I take the time to jot down what I’m thankful for each day.

Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum to two gorgeous children, pastor’s wife, worship leader and school governor. Her books include Taking off the mask: daring to be the person God created you to be, Cover to Cover: Ezekiel A prophet for all times, Cover to Cover: 1–3 John Walking in the truth, Cover to Cover: David: A man after God's own heart, Insight Into Managing Conflict, Insight Into Self-acceptance and Insight Into Burnout. She also writes Bible study notes and magazine articles. To find out more about her, please visit www.clairemusters.com  and @CMusters on Twitter. 

Comments

  1. I suppose it's not really surprising that our troubles and crises give rise to more writing than the successes. Most of our fiction is predicated upon conflict and disaster and it wouldn't be the same without it! 'I got up, felt great, had a lovely day, and went to bed with hot chocolate and a puzzle book' doesn't really cut it for me ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment