Playing God

Our characters become a part of us

Having shelved the novel for the past few months, I picked it up yesterday and started reading it. Before long, I began restructuring sentences and swapping words in and out, correcting grammar - you know the type of thing us writers spend forever doing. (I’m assuming there will come a time when I have to say – that’s enough! No more changes – send it to the publisher!) However, what struck me most was how much I’d missed my characters. They are extremely important to me and I care about each and every one of them no matter whether they have a main or a bit part in the overall story. I know so much about them, often far more than I divulge to the reader. I know their strengths, their weaknesses, their nasty habits, their dreams and aspirations, their purpose. All of them have a past and all of them are on a journey. This must be the closest I’ll ever get to playing God. Wow! What a parallel! Is this how God, our creator feels about each one of us? He knows every detail of our lives, he sees our future, he knows us far better than we know ourselves. He guides us, cares for us, loves us.
I'm sorry, but my publisher says you have to go (sob)

Many writers know that feeling of trepidation when a publisher announces a particular character really doesn’t work for them. “What?” we gasp in disbelief. “You’re telling me to erase my cherished creation!” It’s like being asked to chop off a finger, lose a toe. Your characters have become a part of you. But, trusting the publisher knows what he’s talking about, we shrug our shoulders and press the delete key. Thankfully, we don’t have to draw a parallel here with our God. Can you imagine Him erasing any of his own beloved handiwork?


Comments

  1. Just lovely, Nikki, and such a great parallel to the way God feels about us. Like you, I love my characters and would hate to see them axed from the wonderful things I have in store for them! Great post xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment