Rosemary's Writing Wish List


By Rosemary Johnson

If I were a rich successful author, I would want... no, require... all of  these. 
Desktop Computer with Two Monitors
Old fashioned, perhaps, but you can't beat it.
  • ·         A desktop computer with two large monitors.  I’d look at different versions of my work on the separate screens and have up several different novel chapters at once, so I could coordinate characters, happenings and places.  The desktop computer would stand on a proper desk, wide and long enough to accommodate my dictionary and thesaurus, cups of tea… and a basket for the cat to lie in. 
  • ·         A laptop, for when I wanted a change of scene, and to write sitting on the settee.
  • ·      
      
    An up-to-date iPad, with a large hard-drive and 4G (so I could use it in places where there’s no wifi) and in an iPad keyboard case.  Compact and light, essential for writing on trains and planes.  It wouldn’t take three days to charge, as does my current iPad, which - still - refuses to die completely and thereby justify my buying a new one.
  • ·         A Business Dropbox account, for filling with my writing and synching between devices above.
  • ·         A modern iPhone, with lots of hard drive space, and battery-life, for taking calls from my agent and publisher.  Also a good camera, for photographing the book-signings above.
  • ·         For travelling to book-signings and other events, I would – naturally – need a sat nav, one inbuilt into my car dashboard, so it didn’t fall off the windscreen at complicated junctions, or have a complicated and petulant attitude towards recharging its battery.
  • ·         Bluetooth in my car, for taking the agent/publisher calls - legally - whilst driving.  Best-selling author on phone in car would do nothing for my image.
  • ·         A printer that is not temperamental and does everything it’s supposed to do, even after its guarantee has run out… No wait!  A printer with warranty which includes on-site support.
  • ·         A wifi connection that doesn’t slow down and fall off daily.  (Think I'd have to move house first, back into the town.)
  • ·         A massive solid-state hard drive, for backing up my writing, which would not become obsolete and would not break.
  • ·         Lots of connectors, so I can play with all these devices.
  • ·         A lined notebook - purpose obvious.

Aaaah!  Dream on, Rosemary.  Christian writers must not lust after riches.  Christian writers must be content.  For the love of money – and computer hardware - are the root of all evil (Timothy, 6:10).

Rosemary Johnson has had many short stories published, in print and online, amongst other places, The Copperfield Review, Circa and Every Day Fiction.  In real life, she is a part-time IT tutor, living in Suffolk with her husband and cat.  Her cat supports her writing by sitting on her keyboard and deleting large portions of text.

Comments

  1. I would like to be a fly on the wall when you give this list to your family as your Christmas wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment