Sharing the Moment by Annie Try




It was here – the delivery of my not quite released novel ‘Trying to Fly’.  My excitement mirrored that of passing the 11+. I became a small child – charging into my sitting room where my Writers’ Group were meeting – thrusting copies of my latest novel into each member's hands and completely disrupting the lovely discussion we were having.  I feel I owe a public apology to Jane Clamp, our Group Leader so:  Sorry Jane.  And thank you to the group for rising to the occasion by buying copies on the spot.

I have experienced opening boxes containing the first copies of my books several times before, but the excitement does not wane, however much I try to curtail it.  This novel is special, though.  It is the first book where I have felt the support of a whole Christian publishing team behind me, plus a writing group, a writing buddy and my eldest daughter who reads everything critically before the final version is sent to the publisher. So much prayer and encouragement – even if I did sometimes argue with my copy-editor in order to preserve the unique character of my protagonist.  Of course there have always been editors, copy-editors, proofreaders, designers etc., but with other publishers their lack of communication has left me feeling separated from the complicated process of turning my writing into a printed edition.  For academic books that is quite usual, I gather, but at least the Creative Therapy books were written with a colleague who provided the team feeling prior to submission.

I enjoy working with another like-minded author and if there is something that you are yearning to write but aren't sure how to put it together, then do try it!  Two of you on the same project leads to a sparking of ideas that sets the vision alight.  Failing that, be bold and share your ideas with a whole writing group (ACW of course!).  Some comments may not seem helpful at first, but write them all down and consider them later.  Ask the group to pray for wisdom as you do this.

Even as I write this I am reminded that, for Christians, there is always a Team Leader for our writing project.  He is there with us all the time, shaping our words and knowing what we will write. Let us never forget that prayer is our ever-open link to Him.

If there had been no writers in my sitting room last Tuesday,  I would have been jumping around with excitement anyway.  Perhaps I would have shared that moment directly with God, rather than with His earthly representatives.  Since then, I have been thanking my friends and family but also giving the glory to my encouraging and guiding Team Leader.

Praise Him!


Annie Try is the writing name of Angela Hobday,
Chair of the Association of Christian Writers. 
Her second novel Trying to Fly is due to be released
on 16th February 2017.  It is the first of the
Dr Mike Lewis Stories, with a second book,
Out of Silence, to be released in September 2017. 
She is published by Instant Apostle.



Comments

  1. Where can we buy this book? I really enjoyed your first novel. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on Amazon for pre-order. But if you want a signed copy it will be £11 inc p&p from me.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Angela. I am very much looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy it although there may not be enough dead bodies for your liking!

      Delete
  3. Ha ha, totally forgiven Angela! The timing of the delivery was perfect for our whole group to rejoice with you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane or your forgiveness. It was a great time of rejoicing!

      Delete
  4. It was a privilege to be there (and to read my signed copy!) It really is a very good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it - Amazon isn't ready for reviews yet but when it is . . .?

      Delete
  5. Oh Angela, what a delightful post. I bet the writing group didn't mind in the least either! And thanks for the lovely reminder of our Team Leader who shares our writing/editing/lack of inspiration/self-doubt angst and then rejoices with and over us when the work is finished. Bless you m'dear xxx (And looking forward to reading your latest!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandy - yes it was our Team Leader who prompted me to send it to Instant Apostle and carried on guiding me through.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! Looking forward to reading it Angela.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment