Just one thing - Tania Vaughan

As I read Mary & Martha's story (Luke 10:38-42) over and over in preparation for my latest talk, I was personally struck by Jesus' words "but few things are needed - indeed only one."

Not so long ago Fiona Veitch-Smith, in her article 'Strings, bows and hats', talked about the many hats she wears in the busyness of different roles  We live in such a fast world, where along with the different job roles Fiona talks about are our roles as parent, spouse, friend, supporter, cleaner, cook, taxi driver, dog walker and insert your own! There are many daily demands on our time before 'work' even begins. I think we all recognise what it means to be living a busy, distracted and worrying Martha life.

One thing! Is that even possible? In September as I started my Theology course I decided to put everything else down so I could solely concentrate on college work. My half written book remains unopened, though I often think about it. Requests to speak need much more careful consideration and planning, although I love it so much I struggle to say no. My blog has a nice new landing page but has seen no new content and I miss the interaction. Although I miss the variety I know that concentrating on one thing has been the right decision but certainly not an easy one.

When Jesus talks about the one thing needed he didn't mean that Martha should concentrate on just one job at a time but on him. He says that Mary has chosen the better portion, the one thing is to choose to sit at his feet whether we are doing one thing or many things.

I have found over the years that it can feel like there is already too much to do and not enough time to be able to sit down and spend time with Jesus. However I've discovered through my 'one thing' experiment that nothing bad happened when I put something down or aside for a while.

What would happen if you left the dishes for twenty minutes to read a chapter of scripture? What harm would it do to sit for five minutes in prayer before diving into your WIP? Everything screams that you must get on and get started, the enemy whispers lies that if you wait you'll never get finished, there's no time!

How much would really be lost if you made your one thing to sit at his feet and choose what it is really needed? Paul says that he counted everything as loss compared to the riches of knowing Christ (Phil 4:8). What one thing is of most worth in your life?

Tania Vaughan is a speaker and writer who started Let's Talk About Ministries after writing her book "Let's Talk About Sex and Relationships - A Bible study for single women".

Through Bible teaching and devotionals Tania seeks to encourage every woman to claim the full life that Jesus came to give them. 
Coming soon "Living in relationship with Jesus" a range of devotional Bible studies.
Contact details, speaking diary and online devotions can be found on her website www.taniavaughan.com

Comments

  1. You're so right Tan about pursuing the one thing. I think one of the enemy's best weapons is distraction. When I do take time to focus on the one thing - Jesus - I never regret it and it's amazing how everything else then falls into place. But alas, I get distracted so easily! Thanks for this reminder x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about distraction Mandy - it amazes me sometimes what is able to distract me!

      Delete
  2. I wondered the other day whether it would be a good idea if there was a Bible to access on my (newly acquired) iPhone! Yes, distractions are so easy. Thanks for reminding us where our lives are centred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mari - there are many great Bible Apps but it seems the other Apps get much more use :)

      Delete

Post a Comment