Writing with Others by Rebecca Seaton

 

Writing with Others by Rebecca Seaton



Although writing can seem a solitary occupation, we should remember Proverbs 27:17 “As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” There are many times I’ve benefited from the insight of others and I hope I have given positive input too.

 

Writing groups are one of the best ways of honing our craft. This month I shared some work with my group and even as I read it aloud I spotted things that didn’t sound right. I can do this at home but there is something about a critical and supportive audience that is quite different.

Magazines are also a chance to write collaboratively. I’ve had the chance to be part of a local writing magazine, Write On! and this has led to me writing different sorts of articles and being part of editorial meetings at various times. This wouldn’t be the case when submitting to all magazines but I strongly recommend getting involved with a magazine related to your interests or local area as there can be the chance to be involved with the creative process of publication, not just your own piece.



Novels and plays, although often solitary, can also be collaborative. There are some authors I wouldn’t have come across if it hadn’t been for their work with a bigger name, like Stephen King or James Patterson, so even if you aren’t working with a best-selling author, maybe you can think how collaboration could extend your reach. It’s also a real eye-opener to work with someone else. You get a much better idea of where your strengths and weaknesses lie, as well as having someone else to hear your ideas aloud. Done well, it can strengthen both of you.

Writing events are one of my favourite ways to join with others. The idea of ‘networking’, when I first heard of it, sounded very contrived. However, spending time with people with whom you have things in common, in my case writing and faith, leads to natural connections and the sort of ‘friend of a friend’ contacts you wouldn’t make otherwise. I’m thankful to ACW and Pen to Print in particular for giving me editorial input, workshop ideas and even introducing me to this blog!



Ecclesiastes 4:9 says that “Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labour.” If the frustrations of writing can be shared, then the same is true for the joys – we do not have to go it alone.

 

 

Rebecca writes fantasy novels, magazine articles and the occasional play. She had her first novel, A Silent Song, published through Pen to Print’s Book Challenge competition and is currently working on the second book of a new trilogy.

Comments

  1. You are absolutely right, Bec! Many thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely post, Rebecca! You are talking to the likes of some of us who don't reach out collaboratively enough. I pray that many of us will avail themselves the opportunity of the ACW Writing events in May and June as well as the support of their writing groups. I definitely will be attending the events. They are great learning curves! There is the one about how to format our own work on KDP, which I haven't a clue on, led by Peculiar on 16th May! So you are absolutely and perfectly right about what you shared from Proverbs 27:17 and and Ecclesiastes 4:9! Thank you so much. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment