Fig Tree Inspiration by Nicky Wilkinson




Few things in life are as delicious as fresh figs straight from the tree (Maybe with some blue cheese?) 




To my great surprise when we moved to Sheffield, I found a fig tree in our garden, which produces a prodigious amount of fruit. What is still more extraordinary is the more it’s pruned, the more fruit grows! 
My fig tree came from Tunisia. It was planted in a bunch of rubble and rubbish as per the manual. It is a very counter-intuitive tree; and, sitting down at my computer to write, this tree inspires me. Thriving in difficult circumstances. Can my writing be like that – delicious and nourishing like figs – as I, too, push through rubble and rubbish?

 

Mists of self-doubt too often roll in. I scrap pages of what yesterday seemed brilliant and today doesnt hang together. I was a seventies child who lived in a time when rote learning at school was eschewed, no grammar book for me. I remember the shame of not understanding the rules, never mind applying them. ‘Get to the point, use the right words, punctuate correctly!’ When my kids brought grammar books home, I was amazed there were rules for double consonants! 


Pushing back the desire to make another cup of coffee, dawdle over the steaming kettle, and choose a pretty cup, I tap on at my keyboard, expectant for inspiration and digging deep for the motivation to finish. It reminds me of the story of Jesus cursing the fig tree in the Bible. He was hungry, it was fruitless, it withered. Mark even adds that it was not the season for figs. It seems a little unfair! 


 

I need to remind myself I have authority when I pray. So, I ask, ‘Inspiration today, please!’ and keep digging deep, tapping at my keyboard.












Nicky Wilkinson is  new to writing. She  lives in Sheffield and is a member of Sheffield Scribblers. She lived abroad in the Czech Republic and Zimbabwe for 25 years. She worked for Feba Radio in Zimbabwe, and taught History at Chisipite Senior School in Harare. She adores her grandkids (hence residing in the UK) and is the Administrator for ACW. 



Comments

  1. Nicky this is so beautiful. I'd stopped my creative writing but this makes me want to try again. Just one thing, would have loved to have actual Bible quote in there as well to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this response! I apologise for not adding the references, they are Gospel of Mark, 11:12–25
      Gospel of Matthew, 21:18–22
      Gospel of Luke, 13:6–9
      I would be very happy to help in any other way I can. Your writing is very important. No one can say what you can. I am so glad you are going to thinking are starting again. Go for it!! Blessings Nicky.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely lyrical piece of writing, Nicky. I love the insistence that we can pray our inspiration into being. I'll have to try that move often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine! Love what you are writing so yes please pray more inspiration in!!!

      Delete
  3. Great to read something from you! Very open writing, great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosalie, I am so excited about 2024. Here we go.

      Delete
  4. What a great post, Nicky! Thanks. Reading what Jesus did to the fig tree roused some thoughts! The lesson I learn is that God does not like it when He gives us talent and we don't make use of it. He either takes it away or destroys it. The fig tree thrives in difficult circumstances as you said but it shamed its Master and creator! May our writings be a blessing and May God always bless us for it. Keep going with your talent! I think we writers are like the fig tree in many respects. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Olusola! Thank you for your thoughtful response to this. There is a lot to draw down on from the fig tree. Thank you for you kind words. I have been enjoying your contributions too!! blessing Nicky.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Nicky...these lines feel so spontaneous, yet also skillfully ordered. I love the meaning you have drawn from this rather deep parable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a fellow fig fan I am amazed that Sheffield is the place to be! Enjoyed your post - great parable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We were boggled too. It does live on a sunny wall. 😊

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicky, your blog is thought provoking on many levels. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicky, the answer is yes. Your writing is delicious and nourishes like figs. It thrives like a fig tree in difficult circumstances. Your poetic imagery, “mists of self doubt too often roll in” ... “choose a pretty cup”, are beautiful, vivid, moving evocations of your experience in your kitchen. I love how your article ends in continuous present tense, “keep digging… tapping” because our struggle to do our best is continuous and lifelong. Yet in that striving, as you point out, we always have the authority to pray. Thank you, Nicky, for your for your article, which is both beautiful and nourishing. Camilla Freeman

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I love the comparison! Yes, we'll keep pushing through, keep growing and trusting the One that helps us to produce fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Right now, Nicky, you are just shovelling sand into your sandbox. You'll be making sandcastles later. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment