WORK, REST, AND PLAY


Have you ever avoided writing? I don’t mean the procrastination that we are all so good at.  Or the decision that’s forced on us, when other priorities need to take precedence. But what about choosing to step away from writing for a period?

Just before Holy Week, I came to the end of an intense semester, disrupted by lecturers’ strikes and with short deadlines for module submissions. I’ve written my first play, a dissertation proposal, some new poems, and a critical reflection, all due in at the end of March.

Apart from a few days over Christmas, I’ve been writing non-stop for six months. No wonder I felt exhausted. But marks aren’t expected until the end of April so there’s time for a much needed breather before dissertation proper starts.

I gave myself a fortnight. I lasted ten days.

The first week was easy. We visited our sons. A change of scenery. Catching up with old friends. Walking and gardening. Easter traditions. Away from academic pressures, I even read some books without analysing their strengths and weaknesses.

When I read The Artist’s Way, one creative task was a week’s fast from reading. How my boys laughed at that idea for me. These last ten days have felt like a fast from writing.

It has been good to stop for a while. My brain feels like it’s been washed waterfall clean. And spiritually it’s been good to stop. To remember that, much as I feel most me when I write, I’m still me without it. That I am loved for who I am and don’t have to earn it by what I do or how well I do it.

Now to get back on board. Ease myself in with some blog posts and a promised anthology piece.

So why has it been so hard to get going again today? I have never attacked household chores with such discipline (ask my husband!) If it wasn’t pouring down, I’d be gardening. I’ve called at my neighbour’s. I’ve watched TV that doesn’t interest me. I’ve looked up how to get a tax rebate and a pension quote. And spent an inordinate amount of time working out if the new visitor to our bird feeder is rook, raven, or carrion crow (it’s a rook).

Truly I am a contrary being. Or a typical writer. How does St Paul put it?

“I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do.” (Romans 7.15a)

Ten days off has left me literarily unfit. It has taken almost a whole working day for me to finally get around to starting this blog post. And it’s as flabby and unfocused as, well, as my need to get back to the gym. But it’s a start. Tomorrow I shall edit, so what you read is more fit for purpose.

As Christians we know the importance of sabbath, the example God set us from the very beginning. Do we need sabbaths from writing? And if so, what’s the best way to do it? How do we avoid Goldilocks’s dilemma, making sure it’s not too long or too short, but just right? How frequent does it need to be? Or is there a way of writing during resting that isn’t work?

I’m sure there isn’t one answer for everyone. But the longer I write the more I realise what a novice I am. I’d love to hear your wisdom and experience in the Comments.

Liz Manning lives in Cornwall and is doing a Creative Writing MA at Plymouth University, where she’s exploring fiction, poetry, and dramatic writing possibilities. She’s about to start her dissertation, a hybrid and visual poetry collection called “These Three Remain”, which explores how faith, hope and love sustained her through difficult times.

She blogs regularly at https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/


Comments

  1. This blog plucks a few of my harp strings. I don't actually play the harp, but it's a call to me to get back to writing, just open up the files again, just do it. I have a few chapters of a book for children waiting patiently, but still I lack courage. Your blog is a call to me to work out my priorities, stop saying yes to so many things that are getting in the way of creative time. One day I'll realise that I can't do everything. Will that day be today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope so, Veronica. May God help you prioritise.

      Delete
  2. Such a great post. I realised a year ago, having finished my first book and wondering why it was so hard to write a second, that creative breaks are so important. For me, that means walking, reading, gardening (like you, fair - weather only!) and staring at leaves moving in the breeze. Thanks for reminding me about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah. With the MA - the joys and the pressures, and the change from writing in spare time to writing fulltime - I've found it hard to take time off. This semester, with just creative work of my dissertation to do, I need to find a better rhythm.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Liz!Definitely,it is good to take a break from writing. Sometimes I do it deliberately and at other times, it is forced on me when 'life happens!' Glad you saw the wisdom to take that writing break and attend to other things that were important and piling up. Stay on top of your writing after your deserved break away! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophia. Need to figure out the best way to use this in between time before dissertation proper starts. Blessings on your writing too.

      Delete
  4. Yes Liz I find reading or going for a walk is ideal as a break from writing. As regards novel writing it is considered (by writing gurus) to be a good idea to leave the latest draft of your novel for at least a few weeks, and then go back to it to see it afresh. (Sheila aka SC Skillman).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Sheila, it's trick I've learned on the MA with all my writing - to leave it and go back later to review. Although I haven;' had the luxury of a few weeks!

      Delete
  5. Liz…I was anonymous yesterday on my iPhone. Now on iPad and all is well. Apart from enjoying your post - especially what you’ve substituted in for writing - I was amused by the juxtaposition of Work Rest & Play i.e. Mars Bars and fasting 🙂 . But also I am on a fairly significant writing fast myself. At an advanced age I’m taking an Eng Lit A-Level and exams are looming & I feel I have a mountain to climb. So I’ve become an exam-prep junkie and the novel, children’s story, blogging, FB, are relegated to the back burner. So my fast is enforced rather than deliberate but I’m looking forward to picking up my ‘pen’ in June. After maybe a Mars Bar & a glass of something to celebrate the end of the fast. Do you think you’ll incorporate a more regular Sabbath from the writing? Writing fasts sound like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're back and solved the problem, John. Technology eh? And I am so glad you got the added layer in the title. I do understand the pressure and impact of academic study on creative writing. I was asked at interview for my MA how I would cope with switching between genres (we do two modules at a time) but going from poetry to fiction or drama hasn't been the issue: it's going from the creative to the academic (critical reflection, dissertation proposal). I've had to allocate separate days/weeks even for those as the only way to do it. I hope your studies go well and that you get lots of inspiration for future writing from it. God bless.

      Delete
  6. These past few weeks have been incredibly busy, preparing for Easter, followed by the arrival of 5 family members who are staying for a week ( they include a 4 month old baby and a 5 year old). It has all been great, but impossible to find any time to be quiet and certainly not to write. They all go home tomorrow and we were due to go on holiday for a fortnight , but the clutch has failed on our car, so we will be staying at home instead of exploring north Wales. I will take time out to relax and maybe get back to the book I am working on after weeks of not looking at it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment