What's in a name? by Jane Walters

I have two lovely moments when planning (or daydreaming about) my fictional writing. The first is thinking up the title and the other is imagining my characters and, more specifically, their names.

I have a growing list of potential titles for novels – recorded in a notebook I use for special ideas – and more than I will ever get round to using. Still, when I hear something that strikes me, I’m scrabbling in my bag for a pen. I’m not alone, I know. I remember reading how Agatha Christie got her title, ‘Why didn’t they ask Evans?’ from a conversation she overheard on a bus. Although the difference with her is that she actually got around to writing the book…

A fun game to play is to re-name famous books or films. Try using a one-word title, as is Disney’s wont these days. Along the lines of ‘Frozen’, perhaps The Little Mermaid might become simply ‘Wet’? My take on Wuthering Heights would be ‘Whatever’ – I wasn’t a fan!

As for character names, this one is really crucial for us writers to get right. I found this quote on the ALLi website: “For me, the name has always come before the character,” says Dan Holloway, novelist, poet and ALLi’s News Editor. “I will often find the narrative taking a direction driven by the personality the character’s name dictates. I find names tend to be a very auditory thing – they need to sound right and that sound will suggest a context for them. Agatha Christie was exceptionally good at naming characters in this way, and it’s one of those things that when an author doesn’t quite get it right can make a book really grate, but when they do get it right can make it really flow.” How to Choose Names in Fiction (selfpublishingadvice.org)

One of my beta readers pointed out that I had two characters with similar sounding names. She’d had to keep flipping back the pages to remind herself of who was who. Names, of course, serve far more than simply identifying one person from another, but when I realised I’d failed even to achieve that, then it was a no-brainer to change one of them.

One helpful device I use in choosing names is work out what year my character was born and then Google the most popular baby names in that year. I find it helps authenticate the narrative. I also call upon my Latin skills to choose names with appropriate meanings. For example, in a reworking of The Prodigal Son, I named the older brother Max and the younger one, Paul. Do pop into the comments why you think I did so, then have a go at creating (or tweaking) your own!


Jane Walters is vice chair of ACW and a published author. She leads Ready Writers Retreats and her next one is coming up at the end of April. Find out more at www.janewyattwalters.co.uk

@realjanewalters (Twitter)

@readywritersretreats (Instagram)


Comments

  1. Names in fiction can also get us into trouble - or they did me, anyway. When I first wrote Waireka, set in pioneering New Zealand and based on my great uncle's real story, I made the big mistake of using the characters real names. Then I told the story and added in adventure and a few crisis moments to move the story along, as you do. The trouble was that they asked to read it prior to publication. Maybe I shouldn't have let them but the fallout might have been worse if I hadn't! Anyway, they took exception to the story being different, even though told through the eyes of a nursemaid and not my great uncle. Of course, if I'd told the real story it would have been really unexciting, as most parts of our lives are, but they didn't get that. So, the lesson is, if you're going to write a story based on your relatives story change all the names. I did in the end but that didn't really mollify them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pitfalls, yes! So many potential mistakes to be made and some can be costly...

      Delete
  2. A funny post, Jane! I smiled at your renaming of Wuthering Heights!! You're so right about the 'similar names' trap, though. It really can trip me up if I'm reading a book with two characters called Pam and Pat, for instance. My aged brain needs a bit more differentiation than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two I’d chosen were Rhona and Rowena. Darn silly now I look at it…

      Delete
  3. I used the census to get the names right for my historical novels. As a British writer, it's easy for me to know what name is right for a parlourmaid and a butler compared with the Lord of the Manor and his Lady, for someone from Wales or Scotland. (And I confess I just give up on books where the socially or culturally wrong name choices grate too much!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interested that it makes you give up. Us readers are a discerning bunch and don’t like being treated as fools!

      Delete
  4. I do a lot of googling too! Posh girls' baby names in 1981 for example. I just had to find a name for a sixty-something character and came up with Carole. That extra "e" suited her. I tend to do similar names - at one point I had a Jamie, Johnnie and Jeremy so had to kill Jamie off. Great blog and I loved "Wet".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I’d have lost Jeremy. Kind of makes the point, though!

      Delete
  5. I knew I wanted a teen hero called Ted, but could not find a surname. Every Ted+name combination that I googled, someone already had it. Eventually my wife suggested Ted Gorse, "because it's the opposite of Ted Heath". And it suits him perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it! And I wouldn’t have connected it to Heath so you get away with it!

      Delete
  6. For me, knowing the genre and whether the characters will be major, medial or minor usually help me out especially if it is a Christian fiction. Most times though, I might use family names, names of actual people I know who kind of fit the character I have created. Then for Bible names, I use the A to Z for my females and males. I agree with you that it is good to give thought to how we name our characters. Lovely post. B;essings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sophia, you’re always so encouraging. I avoid names of anyone I know. It feels like I might be stepping into quick sand with that one…

      Delete
    2. I agree with you. I get very subtle. I might know a Nigerian lady called Lydia and give that name to a child or some other very subtle way. Maybe chane age, careers, marital status, etc.

      Delete
  7. How alarming and funny that your relatives were quite cross that you added bits to their story, and then they were miffed that you changed their names. They could have got their revenge by writing a hilarious story about you, adding some imaginative scenes of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Jane and, like Ruth, spent quite a while googling popular names from the appropriate birth year for a novel which is still in development. One of the characters in my collection of six humorous children's stories, currently with the printer, has a name so lengthy that he struggles to introduce himself anywhere and did abysmally at school because it took so long to write his name that everyone else had already finished by the time he was ready to start. Taking an idea and expanding it to the nth degree... Good fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment