Writing the History of the Association of Christian Writers

Once upon a time, a long time ago (I was at university), in a land far away (Manchester, in fact) I wanted to become a career historian.  Oh, so very tentatively, I suggested to my tutor, an authority on the Catholic resistance to the Reformation in Lancashire, that I might stay on and do a Masters degree and he replied, “Mm.”  I didn’t want it that much, because I didn’t pursue the matter.  Eventually, I took the secretarial course my father had already planned for me and from there, by stages, I became an IT teacher.

Move forward several decades and I’m asked by the ACW Committee to write up the Association’s history for our website.  I supposed finding the relevant information would be easy, seeing as I would be looking back no further than 1971.  After all I'd researched the Polish Solidarity trade union for my novel, but then many journalists and activists have written contemporary accounts of those heady days in the early 1980s and Solidarity itself has compiled a journal of the Shipyard Strikes in 1980 (‘The Daily Liberty’).  ACW has no ‘Daily Liberty’.  Some of the movers and shakers in the early years have died, and others have ceased to be active. To be frank, dear readers, we are losing our collective memory and we mustn’t.  


I am now honing my rusty historical skills.  I’m on the scrounge for any information you may have.  ACW Facebook Group members will have seen all this before (I apologise), and so will other people whom I have made a personal approach.   I am very grateful for the support given by Jane Brocklehurst (who provided this amazing scan of a magazine article about the first Christian writers' meeting), Merrilyn Williams (pen-name Mel Menzies), Penny Young, Marion Osgood, Simon Baynes and, of course, our chair, Fiona Lloyd, who is always the go-to person for anything ACW.  Below is my list of what I need, please.

Magazine - For many years, the Fellowship’s (and later the Association’s) magazine was called Candle and Keyboard.  I have several photos of Candle and Keyboard covers, but anyone know in what year the name changed to Christian Writer?

Events – I have found many reminiscences of ACW events in Write Well, our Jubilee compendium, which I don't want to plagiarise - but has anyone got anything to add, please? 

Competitions - Any competition entrants reading this, please?

MAI (Media Associates International) – Pretty well covered.

Website - We have a website and social media platforms, including our blog More Than Writers.  Any past webmasters out there?  Also, anyone recall when (1) ACW website was first put online and (2) when the ACW Facebook Group began?

Jubilees – of course, we are holding our fiftieth (Golden) Jubilee right now, in 2021-22, but we have also celebrated a silver jubilee (1996) and a 40th jubilee (2011).  Anyone got any memorabilia?  Please send me a photo. 


The more I work on this, the more I believe that writing the ACW history is important.  With your help, I can get it right.  Classical historians spent much of their time looking at shards of pottery and guessing dates (‘…possibly 5th century Athens or maybe 4th…’)  We can't have someone in the next century attempting to fathom our history via our WOWIG mugs.

I am looking forward to hearing from you, via email please, on webmaster@christianwriters.co.uk

Comments

  1. I love this blog. I remember the Candle and Keyboard, and only in the Covid lockdown did I put my copies in the recycling, foolishly thinking no-one would ever want to read these again!! Love the WOW mug too. Sorry, I don't think I'll be able to come to the wonderful summer conference, as my husband has several serious medical problems, and I need to be at home with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Rosemary! I do hope you find all the answers to your questions to complete the historial Jigsaw for ACW Magazine! The genealogy of our Lord Jesus in Matthew testifies that history is important not only for people but a community of christians like ours for posterity. You are doing a great job! May God send angels to assist you. Thanks and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I presume you've already been in touch with founder members, but in case you haven't com across Simon Baynes, father of Lucy Rycroft, he is in the local group I attend, and was a founder member. You may find he could tell you some more about the early days of ACW. And as you may realise from my mention of his daughter, 2 generations of the Baynes/Rycroft family are now members - there may be some interest in that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rosemary; I was a runner up in a competition at some point b/w 2000 and 2008. Sadly, I didn't win, which was a shame as I needed the cash prize for a new washing machine – desperate times. We had to submit five pieces suitable for school assemblies. Veronica Healey asked permission to use my David and Goliath rap for her church youth event, if memory serves. Can't remember the year, but I still have the entries in a file somewhere if it helps. Think my copies of Candle and Keyboard have also gone to recycling; sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry you didn't get to do what you really wanted to when you were young, but God has given you the opportunity to become a historian now! And what a wonderful project on which to embark. I'll be fascinated to hear more about ACW and its history

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment