Be a Raven, by Emily Owen

Get booster jabs to save Christmas. PM tells over-40s

(Text: Get booster jabs to save Christmas, PM tells over-40s)


According to a newspaper headline last week, I bear quite a heavy responsibility regarding Christmas.
As Christians, we know that Christmas doesn’t need to be saved by us: 
we are not responsible for doing that, over-40 or not. 
Rather, Christmas is about a Saviour (am I the first to get Christmas into the blog this year?!).

Perhaps, when we are bogged down with deadlines, and words that don’t come, 
we can forget that the responsibility for them does not rest entirely with us.

First and foremost, there is God. Always God. God who said, in Exodus 19:4:

I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself.

Then there are people God sends our way to help.

I recently passed what I had expected to be quite a difficult weekend. It marked 21 years since I lost my hearing and somehow, despite me not being great with numbers, dates like that stick in my mind.

However, this year was conspicuous for its lack of difficulty. Yes, it had its moments, but in the main, it was fine.

Because of God? Yes.

Because of me? No.

Because of other people? Yes.

Friends and family spent time with me, and gave me a lovely weekend, in person and via messaging.

Some knew it was a memory-full weekend for me, some didn’t. Yet all were there, drawing alongside me.

Elijah, in the book of 1 Kings, ends up hiding. 

He’s all alone.

Perhaps as writers we sometimes want to go into hiding: we think our work is terrible, what’s the point, we feel as though we are going it alone.

God sent food-bringing ravens to Elijah, to sustain him, and he realised things weren’t quite so bad.

Fed by ravens sent by God.

God sent ‘ravens’ to me that memory-full weekend, to sustain me and show me that things weren’t so bad.

Fed by ravens sent by God.

What about ravens God sends us as writers? People to draw alongside us (fellow ACWers, for a start). Editors, publishers, people to discuss with, other brains to pick, proof-readers, chocolate-buyers, shoulders to cry on, people to rejoice with….

I imagine we can all think of a raven or two God has sent our way.

My first picture book will shortly be published, and I added some new ravens to my team. One is the illustrator (I am in awe of illustrators!). One is the son of the proof-reader. Apparently, he read the book and suggested that, really, a different word would be better than one I’d used. And you know what? He was right.

Fed by ravens sent by God.

I’ve just looked up the collective noun for raven, and was given a few options, one of which is a constable of ravens:

'...any time a grouping of these birds seems to be watching or guarding something, the group can be referred as a 'constable'.

Just as God, and ACW members, and other ravens in our lives, watch out for us.

Another option was my favourite: a *kindness of ravens. 

Fed by ravens sent by God.

All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it.
(1 Corinthians 12:27))

*I think the website must have had a typo, as it actually said ‘unkindness of ravens’. I’m delighted to be able to rectify that error….

Comments

  1. Love this! I am so grateful for my ravens too. And that God knew just when I needed them. I like to think I am available to be one when God needs me to be but I suspect that I'm often too focussed on my own cave walls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I suspect you are available to be one!

      Delete
  2. This is brilliant. I too am thankful for ravens and you are one of mine. I am thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I echo that back to you. Definitely.

      Delete
  3. I have a group of 'ravens' I've always referred to as my 'guinea pigs'; faithful friends who read manuscripts and give helpful, constructive, prayer-filled feedback. I wouldn't want to work without them. (Perhaps there's a confusion between ravens and crows – a 'murder' of crows would be most unhelpful to any writer, except possibly Agatha Christie!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....or when said crows needed to 'murder' a manuscript so it didn't see the light of day!
      I'm glad you have ravens/guinea pigs.
      I decided that 'be a raven: the world needs ravens' might cause a few too many eye rolls from readers of the blog, but it's true!

      Delete
  4. love this, especially your postscript! I love ravens too, in fact I love any creature that gets bad press. I have a need to defend them, except for insects, I'm afraid, but I expect they too have an advocate! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Before this blog, I wouldn't have said i love ravens, but now I'm coming round to them!

      Delete
  5. I have to wait at least another two weeks for my booster, so it annoys me that the government keeps telling us to do it as soon as possible. I would if I could!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get your booster as soon as possible.

      Delete
  6. Lovely Emily. You are very definitely one of my ravens! Thank you for being such an amazing support and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and you're one of mine. Thanks, Tracy. Raven mutuality!

      Delete
  7. Lovely idea - Ravens sent by God... he must've seen that there could be a kindness of Ravens! Perhaps they needed to be shown that they mattered? Earlier this year, I lost a lovely Raven, who was sent to replace (in a way) a previous creative-work-supporter...and I think I can say that God has picked out and sent another... each is different, with different gifts, and they've usually arrived in ones... this one is a fellow ACW writer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare. That's a really nice thought about them being shown that they mattered. I'm glad God picked out another Raven for you; yes, I find they often arrive in ones, too.

      Delete
  8. Like everyone else, I really loved this imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you aware that the word usually translated as 'ravens' in the Elijah story can (I think with a small change) be translated as 'foreigners'? I love that - that Elijah was fed by foreigners, whom he probably thought of as heathen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fascinating, Veronica. I didn't know it, thank you for telling me. I, too, love the richness in it. I'm very glad to have learned something new today.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful post Emily! It gives a good feeling when you mention Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glad it was ok to mention Christmas so early!

      Delete

Post a Comment