Lucre, not always filthy, by Ben Jeapes


Photo by Nick Fewings on Unsplash

I’m going to try not to rant – self control being a fruit of the Spirit, and all that – but I’ve just parted company with a possible client over mismanaged expectations regarding payment for my services. As in, they didn’t want to make any until the royalties came rolling in.

I bear at least some of the blame for letting things get as far as they did. I’d been told right at the start that money was tight, but I do believe in giving a free consultation like any tradesman. But, there is a point where consultation turns into work.

So, I want to address the feeling of guilt that Christian authors might feel about requiring payment. After all, our writing is part of our ministry, right? Or (this being a purely secular project) then it’s at least part of our servant witness, right? And our ministry / witness is self-sacrificing, right?

Now, yes, of course, there are times I’ve done – and still do – work for mates rates, or less. There are cash-strapped worthy causes out there. I’ve even been known quietly to write an invoice off. And yes, I do think of my Christian witness; the impression I might be making and whether I can be said to be giving glory to God. It’s purely subjective, there are no fixed rules and it’s my assessment of my situation. The customer does not get input into whether I feel I can afford to do something for free.

So, here are three particular reasons, in no particular order, why you should get paid and not just rely on God to come up with the goods.

One, the labourer is worthy of their hire. This phrase, or similar, comes up in the Bible too many times to give verse links, which kind of makes the point on its own. One particular time, though, is when Jesus sends the disciples out on their first mission, taking no money and living in faith. Even then, he expects them to live off something.

Two, it gives you a contractual relationship with your client. Does that sound worldly? Well, if so then good – it was meant to. I used to run my own publishing company and I learnt the hard way not to get work for free. I tried to work with people that I thought would all share the vision and join me in working for peanuts or less. Suppliers were … well, flaky. Very good at their job but hard to pin down. They stuck to their own timetable, not to mine, and couldn't be pinned down to delivery dates. And why should they? They were doing me a favour so I was on their timetable. My work went straight to the back of the queue if something more remunerative and urgent came in.

And, it's two-way. You are better able to tell if you're being taken for a ride, and to apportion your time for this task. If you find they're giving you too much work for the time paid, you have more leverage than if you're just doing them a favour.

Three, there are people who do this for a living, and I’m not going to undercut them. That really would not be a good witness. For events, I take the Society of Authors’ guidelines as a starting point. For writing, even though I'm not a member of the NUJ, I start with theirs. Both have been worked out by people who have been making a living this way much longer than I have.

Money is mentioned a lot in the Bible – doormats, never.

Ben Jeapes took up writing in the mistaken belief that it would be easier than a real job (it isn’t). Hence, as well as being the author of eight novels and co-author of many more, he has also been a journal editor, book publisher, and technical writer. www.benjeapes.com

Comments

  1. An interesting subject and one that isn't mentioned nearly enough. I've been thinking about it a lot recently. This is such a well-written, clear piece and very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this. Thanks for quoting scripture: The labourer is worthy of their hire/wage - to prove the point that we, christians should not be ashamed to take or charge what is due to us. This post has emboldened me with wisdom for when I start my Review business!! The Societ of Authors is really useful for the legal side of things. I'm a member and I have benefitted from being one.Thanks Ben. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points - I think I want to add, We need to be able to carefully distinguish two things. One, where is the line between a real friend, and a 'client' - when the 'client' is a 'friend' of sorts (say a member of one's home group, for example)? Two, having the confidence to feel enough of an 'expert' to charge. For example, I do not have an MA in Creative Writing - do I charge for giving a talk to a group of aspiring writers? Suppose they are students or pensioners? Suppose they are a group of well-off women whose husbands are professionals? Who are maybe also professionals - lawyers, GPs...) Gosh, do we make a difference between the well-heeled and the possibly indigent? I would shudder to've asked £100 for giving a talk to an afternoon group at a church (and asked for nothing, very traditionally, - but was I 'undercutting'? ) The young seem confident enough to ask: should those of us who have though tit was 'just part of our ministry' (and would feel 'imposter syndrome' about asking for money) change, and catch up with the times? I would love to think I could earn something via writing - but am very hesitant...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an interesting topic. I'd love to know if it's something non-Christians agonise about in the same way, or is it that Christian writers feel they should offer services for free because of the idea of charity and Christian generosity? Do Christian window cleaners, nurses and solicitors also offer free professional services? Maybe they do. I just don't know any! Clare's point is interesting - I have taught English to several of my Christian friends' children privately (one friend was indeed a home group leader) and am also teaching a fellow Christian creative writing skills. Neither asked or expected me to do this for free just because I'm a Christian. These are my jobs. Clare's point about expertise is also relevant, though. I might expect, as a writer with a couple of books out, to charge less to talk about writing than a bestselling household-name author of a string of novels. Overall, I think that if a Christian sees their writing as a ministry, maybe that's different. If a Christian sees their writing as their professional work, then their time should be recompensed. Sorry about the long comment. I was thinking the issue through in my head as I was writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ben. Interesting and challenging too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Ben. This is clear thinking and I want to say your right. If I get services from a friend or colleague, I always expect to pay whether it be for erecting a fence or managing my website.
    The question arose once (not in relation to myself, I must add) of whether the rector should pay the rector's fee for conducting his own daughter's wedding? Any fee due to the rector in the Church of England is now assigned to the diocese and goes into the stipend pot. I was laughed at (and regarded as a pain in the neck by some) when I suggested he should. I mean, where does it end? What about the churchwarden or the church treasurer who put in hours of unpaid work?
    But, as a retired pensioned cleric, when it comes to asking for the fees I could/should, I find it hard to demand a fee and expenses from a small congregation in a country church with an ancient crumbling building to maintain. After all, I would go to church anyway and if I were sitting in the congregation, I would be expected to put something in the collection. I don't ask for anything but this raises the point you make about undercutting others... I wish life were more simple.
    However, I do think that if someone's livelihood depends on people paying them, Christians should not hesitate to expect to pay the going rate and even demand to, even if they are one's own family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment