American Embassy by Kathleen Smith

 

The photo on the left is the old US Embassy In London, the one where we proudly brought our babies and signed them in as citizens so they’d be half British/half American.. Several years latter I took my children with me as I registered to vote. They were starting school soon, and I wanted them to see the voting process (school teacher mom, what can I say?). 

The process on that particular day included commiserating with others in the queue about “having to have your handbag checked! And walk through metal barriers!” 

Once inside you took a ticket and sat on a plastic chair to wait for your number to be called. I entertained my daughter and son with stories of coming to the embassy at night for a party or two. I remembered the Christian Ambassador who lent my ladies group the entire ground floor of his personal residence so we could have a church retreat, hosted by his wife. It was not that I “knew people,” but those things just seemed to happen. People opened wide their lives and their homes and you could be caught up in the most unusual invitations. 

Soon our number was called and I took my children’s hands, leading them to the officer who would check my voter registration form and ask me to swear an oath of truth. The officer was wearing a uniform and my two young ones just about stood to attention.

“I’m teaching them the American process for voting,” I explained to he officer.

“Yes mam,” said the officer and smiled. “OK kids, listen up!”

Their little heads looked up. Quiet as mouses.

“I swear by Almighty God.”

My hand was up. “I swear by Almighty God.”

“To tell the truth the whole truth…”

“”To tell the truth the whole truth.”

“And, “ the officer took a deep breath and looked quite serious for the last bit, “and vote exactly the way I tell you.”

“WHAT!” The officer and and I burst out laughing.

The kids looked at me, worried. “Mommy, aren’t you supposed to vote the way he says?””

Absolutely not!

As an American High School Social Studies teacher (retired indeed), I realise times have changed. I still teach about change,  but  for one moment  I just  wonder if we as members of  the Association of Christian Writers could write and share stories which teach what might someday be worth remembering. Wendy Jones, in  her podcast “Writing in Your Third Age,” ( part of her Writing and Marketing Show) speaks further  into this topic. 




Kathleen has a BA in Political Science, a Master’’s Degree in social Policy, and Certificate in Theology/Chaplaincy. Her book, “Beyond Broken Families” is  available on Amazon, and her book “Parents on the Move!”  is available from her garage. 

 

Comments

  1. Great story as always Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. With “the change” in Afghanistan I was a bit nervous as I wrote this story. While I and others are deeply saddened and even angered at what is happening, I suppose I wanted this true story to bring a remembrance of what has been possible. This was in London, but also in Jamaica our embassy reached out to the community in so many ways. It’s a different world at the moment, but it doesn’t mean I have to accept it.

      Delete
  2. Interseting! Change will always bring about cherished memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great little story Kathleen. We should all tell our stories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment