Reading God's Map by Emily Owen



I like reading. Ever since my baby-days when I shared my cot with books, books have been – and are – a huge part of my life.

I guess I’m not alone in getting joy from reading words; this is a writers’ blog, after all!


What I would be less certain of guessing at, is enjoyment of a different type of reading. I’m tempted to suggest that no-one could possibly enjoy it but, since I know people who do, I can’t say that.
I’m talking about maps. I know maps are very useful things but, unlike a book of words, I would never choose to read them just for pleasure. Or I wouldn’t have done…
A few weeks ago, my three-year-old niece gave me this picture.
As she did, she said:
“This is a map that shows how to get to your house.”
The ‘map’ to get me home is, as you can see, heart shaped.
God’s map for every day of our lives is heart shaped. It’s written with love.
If ‘writing comes from reading, and reading is the finest teacher of how to write’, I think  - as writers – we’d do well to make sure we read God’s map every day.
It’s a map that reminds us, as we travel through life to our ultimate destination – heaven – that He loves us.
As we follow His map, as we read His directions, what better teacher of how to write could we possibly have?
May our writing come from reading God’s love-filled, heart shaped map.

Comments

  1. I love that the map is heart-shaped. Simple and profound and over-archingly true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really is. It was a beautiful moment when my niece gave it to me.

      Delete
  2. Emily, I would and absolutely do read maps for pleasure! I was writing about this only last week (https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/2019/06/16/what-my-father-taught-me-five-minute-friday-goal/). And the history of map making is absolutely fascinating.
    But that one sentence, 'the map to get me home is heart shaped', is breath takingly perfect. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz.
      I knew there'd be someone who likes reading maps! I've just read your blog and it's lovely how our two blogs chime a bit, isn't it. I like the way your pleasure in maps stems from shared times and interest with your dad. And I felt really pleased for you when I read that you'd successfully worked out that route without having to stop!

      Delete

Post a Comment