WRITINGS ANCIENT AND MODERN by Liz Manning


One of my favourite and most satisfying types of writing is reimagining Bible stories: whether as short stories, drama scripts, poetry, or even a game. Recently, I’ve been writing these for ‘Devotions’ in my Boys’ Brigade company. 
It’s a challenge working out something that grabs the attention of eight to fifteen year olds. To be honest, they all seem to enjoy listening to a good story, whatever their age. But I want these stories to be more than historical records or bedtime tales. I want the narratives to portray real people with similar hopes, faults, worries, and idiosyncrasies as the boys. I want them to picture themselves in that situation, asking,

‘What if that were me? How would I react?’

If the boys can imagine themselves meeting Jesus, encountering God, maybe they can go on to do it for real.

Sometimes I do this by focussing on the personal emotions and reactions of a character, leaving the practical details ambiguous (although the younger boys always like to guess at who the protagonist is). In an attempt to make it timeless, I hope to reduce distancing, the temptation to dismiss its relevance.

But the other thing I do is to look for directly comparable situations and tell the story as if it were contemporary.

Last year, I wrote an account of the first Easter morning. Grave cloths left folded in a garden cave sealed by a boulder didn’t fit the bill for this modern retelling. Instead, an open grave with a coffin, lid removed, in the middle of a cemetery, angels mistaken for gravediggers, made much more sense.

This week, inspired by a song my BB boys had performed in a competition, I retold the story of Gethsemane, emphasising how hard it was to stay awake after so much food and drink, interspersed with verses and chorus from Bruno Mars’s Count On Me.  I hope the combination led them to consider the meaning of commitment, forgiveness, and friendship with Jesus for themselves.

Today is Palm Sunday and I can’t help remembering the morning I let my Youth Group watch a Spurs FA cup victory parade pass outside our church instead of going to the service, before relating it to Jesus’ own parade into Jerusalem. Many years later I thought of what else the Triumphal Entry reminded me of and wrote this:



Carnival
New Year’s Eve
End of term
Our team bringing home the cup

A jubilee
A street party
A victory parade
All rolled into one

Colour and noise
Cheering and singing
Camaraderie and excitement
All here for one purpose

“Do you remember the first…?”
“What about the last…?”
All drowned out by
“Here they come now!”




The contrasting second half of the poem hits a more sombre beat, a hint of things to come after the partying ends. But you get the point?

Holy Week is such a rich seam of inspiration and contemplation. And maybe it’s not just my BB boys who would benefit from a fresh, more modern take on the familiar stories. Fancy a go?


Liz Manning fits writing around being an Occupational Therapist, BB captain, wife, and mum to two adult sons. Or perhaps it's the other way round. She blogs regularly at 



Comments