Do you think too much? by Deborah Jenkins

I was doing some research the other day for something I'm writing and I came across these wonderful verses in Ecclesiastes: -
'...when God gives someone wealth and possessions, and the ability to enjoy them, to accept their lot and be happy in their toil - this is a gift of God. They seldom reflect on the days of their life, because God keeps them occupied with gladness of heart.' Ecclesiastes 5:19-20

What an incredible verse! I was having a bit of a grumpy day and thinking about all the things that weren't quite right in my life and the words really jumped out at me. But I was thinking, perhaps for writers, as well as for ordinary human beings, to indulge in a little less reflection and more actual living - both in the real world and in the writing one - is indeed a gift from God. And there's nothing like being occupied - say, by a day out with friends or by a sudden rush of eloquence which has us reaching for the laptop - to bring gladness of heart. Perhaps, too much reflection is a bad thing?

I know some people have long term illnesses and are unable to do much at home or get out as much as they'd like to. I think in those circumstances, it is very difficult not to be asking yourself all the time, "How am I doing? How am I feeling?" I do this a lot when I'm unwell. But I do think there's a secret to unlock in those verses. We can't always change our circumstances and this can be a source of huge frustration to us. Personally, I would be quite happy for God to give me wealth and possessions. But of course he already has. I have a wonderful husband, three loving children and many faithful friends. Wealth indeed. I also have a spacious home in a country town, shelves of books and a study with a desk and a view of trees. God's gift to me, day after day, is the ability to enjoy them, to accept my lot and be happy in my toil. Do I always accept these gifts? I know when I am busy teaching or writing, helping with church activities or chatting with neighbours and friends, I am occupied 'with gladness of heart'. When I am bemoaning the things I don't have, that I miss my children and I'll never finish my novel, and even if I do, no one will read it, I'm not occupied and I'm not glad.

Outside it's almost dark. Slim fingers of rain are drumming on the conservatory roof, and the garden is full of shadows. There are always demons who will chase us into corners if we let them. I switch on the lamp and pick up my writing journal.



Deborah Jenkins is a freelance writer and school teacher, who has written articles, text books, devotional notes and short stories. She also writes regularly for the TES. She has completed a novella, The Evenness of Things, available as an Amazon e-book and is currently working on a full length novel. Deborah loves hats, trees and small children. After years overseas with her family, who are now grown up, she lives in East Sussex with her husband, a Baptist minister, and a cat called Oliver.

Click on the link to see the book on amazon

Comments

  1. "There are always demons who will chase us into corners if we let them." I really wish I'd written that line. A great conclusion to a lovely post which contains some wise reminders about contentment and not being too introspective. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Old Buddy. Muvh appreciated. Let's see if I can put it into practice now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this, Deborah. Don't think too much... and certainly don't be tempted to edit too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Are you saying you don't, or are you advising me not to? Either way, thanks for commenting Rosemary!

      Delete
  4. I loved, loved, loved that last paragraph! And I hope and pray that you will finish your novel as I certainly will read it! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're lovely Martin Horton! And I will hold you to that

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment